Battle of Britain Pilot ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

What exactly qualifies a pilot to be listed as flown in the BoB, and awarded the BoB bar to the 39-45 Star?

How about this chap, SGT C.st J. Nichols, I have his log book, he joined 601 Squadron on October 20th with his first flight on the 25th, Local Flying.
he then continues through the rest of October flying 'Formation & local flying' & then into November, again 'Formation' & operational Exercise.
On the 17th November he notes 'Hurricane' & and simply 'Flap' 30 mins.
towards the end of November he joined 238 Squadron, where he stayed, moving with the squadron out to the Western Desert, where in 1943 he was sadly killed.
Paging through his lo book as I write this I note several well known names have signed off his log, A.C.Mayars, 601 Sqn , H.A Fenton 238 Sqn & P/O Robert Doe o/c 'A' flt. 238 Sqn.

So, Should Nichols be listed ? or entitled to the BoB Bar ?

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

The Battle of Britain is generally recognised as having started on July 10th 1940, and ended on 31st October that year.

I think, but I'm not sure, that in order for someone to qualify for it, they need to have flown/served in combat during that period.

One operational sortie on an accredited squadron. Sounds like he didn't do the requisite operational flight?

Julian....your book is on its way! I ran out of copies and had to wait for more from publishers.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Dawn patrol.
The established criteria to allow qualification for the Battle of Britain clasp was to fly one operational sortie with one of the recognised Squadrons between July 10th 1940 and October 31st 1940.
I think in the case of your airman the word 'Operational' appears to be the problem.
My records show him joining 601 Squadron on October 14th from 6 OTU. He is first mentioned in the 601 ORB on November 1st 1940.
It would appear from your own account that he failed to fly operationally until November 17th, thus failing to qualify within the required period.
None the less, you have a great item which I am sure you will continue to enjoy.
Gerry