Wellington To Leave RAF Museum Hendon??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just read in the latest Flypast that the Wellington on display at Hendon is to be removed and sent to Cosford for restoration. This poses a few questions..

Will she remain in the same markings upon completion?
When was it last restored?
And finally did it fly into hendon or was it dismantled previously?

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

Found this bit on the history of it - should help?

MF628 History

Member for

16 years 8 months

And finally did it fly into hendon or was it dismantled previously?

Its last flight was in late Jan 1955, when it flew from St Athan to Wisely after completion of 'The Dambusters' filming in the previous summer.
It was transported to Hendon in November 1957, but has moved around since, but finally ending up at RAFM Hendon in October 1971.

See here for (very) complete history, http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/aircraft_histories/69-A-171%20Wellington%20X%20MF628.pdf

Member for

16 years 3 months

About time, as her fabric is long overdue for replacement.
I wonder how much they could raise selling chunks of the fabric?

Anyway now that we have a genuine bomber Wimpy in R Robert at Brooklands I personally hope the RAFM remove the front turret and return it to the original T10 configuration in silver with yellow trainer bands. Somehow I think I'll be disapointed.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. It would be good to see it return to T10 scheme but doubt it would happen. Now that we have R Robert what about returning her to flight?!

Member for

15 years

Wellington to leave RAFM

I can't imagine R for Robert being made airworthy.....

AW

Member for

24 years 3 months

No I meant the one at Hendon.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Despite the existance of a second example elsewhere, I doubt the RAFM would risk its only example by restoring it to fly, and flying it? Most government museums focus on static exhibits and only fly duplicates in their collections? I suspect that will be the case here as well?

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Member for

14 years 6 months

According to the RAFM website It was built as a B X and later converted to T X standard retaining the bombdoors and tailturret. So the only sensible thing to do is to keep it as it is, a genuine B X. Flying it? Come on.....

Cees

Member for

14 years 2 months

Keep it on the ground and restore it as the B.X it was built as IMHO

Member for

16 years 8 months

All T.10s were Boulton Paul converted Mk.Xs, which retained the bomb doors and rear turret. With the lengths that the RAF museum went to source and fit a front turret and the fact it is displayed as the only complete Wellington bomber, I can't imagine it would be reverted back to training colours.
Must admit though, I personally would prefer to see it in the classic silver with yellow bands.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Whilst there are surviving wartime Wellington crew members still around, it should remain as a turreted version in their honour.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Perhaps clearing space for a certain 'Big Nig'. ;)

A shot at Heathrow in the 1960's, in store with the Nash collection.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/WellingtonLHRPeterArnoldimage.jpg

Member for

16 years 8 months

Nice shot, it has to be said that its post-war history is very interesting.

Member for

14 years 6 months

The nose fairing is in storage at Stafford so that could be displayed together with the finished restoration to show part of it's history.

Cees

Member for

14 years 2 months

Ooh, compromise, there's a novel idea... :D

Member for

18 years 11 months

Certainly plenty of room in the Bomber Command hall for more than 'Big Nig' - where the Bucc/Avro Anson on a trailer is there's still a fairly large amount of room cornered off, and has been for a long time

Member for

14 years 9 months

When i was at the Museum in December, in the Old Main entrance area there is a board with "Museum News" on it. It said that the Havoc/Boston (Big Nig) will be arriving this year and the Wellington leaving for much needed Conservation works.

However it did not state if it would be returning to the Bomber Command Hall, i hope it does! Like you say Rlangham there is plenty of room in the hall to accomodate both Aircraft and i would regard the Wellington as "key" within the history of Bomber Command, always one of my faves when i visit!

Wondy

Member for

16 years 8 months

There are too many gaps in the bomber collection already (Stirling, Hampden, Whitley etc, and depending on your point of view, the Halifax) for it to be moved anywhere else surely?

I'm sure she will be back (hopefully without the problems experienced by the Battle!) as for T.X version, I was swayed by a recent editorial by Ken Ellis in "Flypast" in which he outlined the reasoning behind non operational schemes on museum aircraft, however in the case of the Wellington, back on display as she is now please, just nicely restored!

Member for

16 years 6 months

About time, as her fabric is long overdue for replacement.
I wonder how much they could raise selling chunks of the fabric?

Anyway now that we have a genuine bomber Wimpy in R Robert at Brooklands I personally hope the RAFM remove the front turret and return it to the original T10 configuration in silver with yellow trainer bands. Somehow I think I'll be disapointed.

Don't encourage them or we will never see a Hawker Tempest in appropriate fighting colours.

Graham