Thompson Refueller

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Come across more and more adverts/photos on the three wheel refuelling units made by the Thompson Brothers recently. I did wonder whether the Mk V, also known as the TB3, such as preserved at Hendon, Duxford, South Yorkshire Air Museum and the Yorkshire Air Museum, was produced pre-war. I came across this advert in Flight dated February 21 1939, showing a Mk IV (but also referred to as the Mk V) which looks very similar although not quite spot on, so could be a prototype - was the Mk V used in civilian service pre-war?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/RobLangham/thompson1.jpg

Original post

Member for

16 years 11 months

Bowser

Anyone know if any of these are available? Would be ideal for our needs.

George

Member for

20 years 10 months

Anyone know if any of these are available? Would be ideal for our needs.

George

They do come on to the market - I just had one shipped out to The Military Aviation Museum in Va, USA a few weeks ago.

Member for

18 years 6 months

The Squadron at North Weald used to have one in working condition (when I was a member there...drove it once) and I think another one (in yellow) was used as a source for spares. Will have a look through my files as remember writing an article on the bowsers for a copy of Squadron News.

Martin

Member for

18 years 11 months

Martin, if you find the article i'd be very interesting in seeing it

Member for

18 years 11 months

They do come on to the market - I just had one shipped out to The Military Aviation Museum in Va, USA a few weeks ago.

What sort of price range do they go for?

Member for

20 years 10 months

The Squadron at North Weald used to have one in working condition
Thats the one now in the USA in post 3.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Here's a '47 Thompson at Sharjah.
Very nice - but where/what is Sharjah?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Was the Thompson related to the Zwicky 3-wheel bowser?

Roger Smith.

Member for

18 years 1 month

i saw one of these in a military vehicle mag, it was found in a scrap yard almost rotten away, now fully restored.