Another prop found yesterday in the sea

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

This prop was dragged up by a dedger in the river Loire Estuary near Saint Nazaire (France). Any ideas ? I was guessing at B17 maybe?

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

A punt- B-17?:confused:

Member for

24 years 2 months

A Hamilton Standard/DH hydromatic propeller. That narrows it down to about 30% of the aircraft types used by the Allies.

The hub looks in good nick so there is every chance they'll be able to identify it from that.

Anne

Member for

14 years 1 month

PS sorry Graham, didn't notice you'd suggested B17 in the original post too :o

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'd agree so far; the reduction gear isn't from a Merlin or any Bristol engine.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Prop i/d

Yes, almost certainly B-17.

The reduction gearing is typical of the Wright Cyclone engine (planetary gear). The only other two realistic options with this prop would be P&W Twin Wasp-powered B-24 and C-47 but that engine uses the Farman bevel gearing very different to that seen here.

Looks like it's in great nick, with no obvious corrosion, which is amazing considering it has been under the sea for (presumably) 65-odd years.

Anon.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Makes you wonder what condition anything else left down there's in. Well, was, until the dredger chomped it anyway... :(

Member for

17 years 6 months

Looks like it's in great nick, with no obvious corrosion, which is amazing considering it has been under the sea for (presumably) 65-odd years.

Possibly freshwater, and if the river needs dredging then it’s probably been buried in silt.....still I’d agree it is in great condition...

Makes you wonder what condition anything else left down there's in. Well, was, until the dredger chomped it anyway...

...but, yes, I wouldn’t hold out any hope for anything more fragile.....looking at the fearsome teeth on that dredging equipment!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Yes, almost certainly B-17.

The reduction gearing is typical of the Wright Cyclone engine (planetary gear). The only other two realistic options with this prop would be P&W Twin Wasp-powered B-24 and C-47 but that engine uses the Farman bevel gearing very different to that seen here.

Anon.

Ummm... the B-25 also had this propeller, and Wright Cyclone engines.

The RAf alone got over 900 B-25s.

Add in the other types on page 6 of this PDF that had Cyclones, and there are more candidates.
http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5572.pdf

Member for

16 years 2 months

B-25 prop?

No, it's definitely not B-25.

The Mitchell had needle blades - these are paddle blades typical of the B-17, B-24 and C-47.

Anon.

Member for

21 years

We have been assisting the finders of this relic with their research and our own thoughts are B-17. Did the B-25 have prop de-icing? On the prop found the de-icing pipes are quite well preserved. They have now taken a few bits apart and are discovering part numbers which should help.

Member for

18 years 10 months

No, it's definitely not B-25.

The Mitchell had needle blades - these are paddle blades typical of the B-17, B-24 and C-47.

Anon.

Yes... the tips are rather broad, and a look at all the B-25 pics I have show a distinct taper to all the blades.

Nice ID point to remember... thanks.