Mystery Part Found In The Garden

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi folks,

I have just been sent this piece of aeroplane, it was found in the garden by a friend of mine in brum whilst doing a spot of weeding :diablo:
[ATTACH]183530[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]183531[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]183532[/ATTACH].

Now who can tell me what it is!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

15 years 7 months

It's truly random and suprising!

Member for

14 years 5 months

Looks like the petrol flap off a Marina!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks like a Spitfire part number 30008 etc therefore a bit of wing, really cannot ID it though. + 6S (Supermarine) inspection stamp would seem to confirm this.

looks to be Stainless Steel or is it Ali?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Looks like a Spitfire part number 30008 etc therefore a bit of wing, really cannot ID it though. + 6S (Supermarine) inspection stamp would seem to confirm this.

Thank god someone knows their part numbers! I thought it might have been a triumph spitfire filler cap:D

Its stainless steel

Member for

16 years 11 months

Looks like a Thrunge bracket, left handed, if I'm not very much mistken. Next?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Chris, looks the same profile as leading edge ! was thinking may be cover on gun tubes ??

Steve

Member for

14 years 6 months

Certainly Spitfire 300, Mk1 and 08 is wing, It is a blanking plate for the outer 303 gun ports, perhaps an interum mod when changing from the A wing to the B with the cannons?

Tell him to keep digging!

Jules

Member for

20 years 2 months

How come this part ended up in a garden????? :confused:

Member for

16 years 11 months

Now the cider has worn off.... Yes, and that piece was alledgedly from an operational loss. He was, however, sold it as a bit of Hurricane so the providence not great.

Member for

24 years 3 months

..from the Spitty parts book, temp cover for the gun ports.

Attachments

Member for

12 years 1 month

I have a similar part

i have a similar part 30008 4359 given to me 15 years ago and at that time said to have come off a Hurricane flown by Belgian pilot and shot down over Kent Nov. 1 1940. This forum solved the mystery! how do i post pics of it?

I think you will find it is called a Tunnel Plug.

If the aircraft was flown without the guns in place then tunnel plugs had to be fitted.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Its very nice provenance or not.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Does he need a bit help with the weeding? I'm good at getting those really deep ones out!!

Member for

12 years 1 month

tunnel plugs

i am new and would like to post pics of the part I have but can't figure out how..or i could email them to one of you more experienced folk and let you post them..
many thanks
alan

Member for

24 years 3 months

Alan.

You need to open a (free) account with Photobucket ( http://photobucket.com/ ) or Flickr ( http://www.flickr.com/)

These are effectively online albums

You upload your images to there

Once uploaded each gives you the ability to copy an image URL for that picture, which you then paste into post. The picture then appears like magic

You will recognise the url you need as it is enclosed by the image tags

Give this a try before we get round to doing it for you.

Best regards

Moggy

Member for

12 years 1 month

tunnel plug

Here's two pics of the part i have...even the RAF Museum didn't know what it was.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/Stonewall_2007/651_5175.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/Stonewall_2007/651_5174.jpg

Member for

16 years 6 months

got to be quite rare surely?

Member for

16 years 11 months

If you look very closely at the camouflaged 'outside' you might see it stamped Gun Camera, I have one which confused me till I found the writing!