Life doesn't get much better than this...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

...standing alone on the airfield's former sport's field on north side...watching the OFMC Mustang soaring through the bright blue sky...gleaming in the sunlight...roaring over my head...

Aaaaah...life is bliss sometimes ;) ;) ;)

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Life doesn't get much better than this...

Got any jobs going there? ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Agreed Ashley, but I'm doing the next best thing, working on my Mossie!

Neilly

Member for

24 years 2 months

Go on Neilly....spill the beans...Mossie?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm intrigued too...

And... I want to be able to stand and watch the Mustang (my favourite aircraft of all time)!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh go home the lot of you!!!

We only get a sorry collection of planes down here :(
The best we got was when the Russians finally brought the SU-27 down back in 92 and the USAF FLEW a BUFF over the crowd in 94, it didn't even land :(
The usual stuff that appears of any interest: RAAF Stuff, RAN stuff Army Stuff, C-5B (USAFRES), AN-124 (hired), C-130's from Indoneasia! We don't even get many Warbirds the Best we ever had was an ex-RAAF Canberra, which is now static at the new aviation museum at Bankstown!

Man Australia Sucks!

Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history and Nerds make money from the sims!

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Oh go home the lot of you!!!

Futurshox...tell me about it...my first job at Duxford was as a museum assistant and I had to work 2 weekends out of 3, including all airshows...I spent the September Airshow "guarding" the entrance to the Gold Pass and Hospitality Enclosures and couldn't see a thing...everytime the Lanc did a pass I was peering under the marquee to catch a glimpse (if any of you came through those enclosures that weekend, I was the one in the Spitfire earings ;))...The October airshow was even better (not)...I spent 13 hours cleaning toilets and changing loo rolls..whoo hoo...the only flying I saw was the Breitling Fighters finale and that was because I refused point blank to change another b***** loo roll until I'd seen them ;) ;) ;)...but that's one of the down sides of being a museum assistant I'm afraid...I did gain a lot from the experience, and I got to know a lot of people in the museum, useful people if you get my drift...people in the know ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-02 AT 09:04 AM (GMT)]The Mossie? I'm building a large scale radio controlled Mosquito BIX. It's going to LR 503, F-bar Freddie, a 105 (ex 109) Squadron aircraft. The reason? This Mosquito recorded a record number of Bomber Command sorties - 213. I've actually spoken to one her former pilots (although his usual Mosquito was LR 507, which was F-Freddie). He flew about a dozen sorties in LR 503. Two stories he told me (are you all sitting confortably? Then I'll begin).
The first, Tony flew LR 503 on her 199th sortie (I can look up where he was marking, as he's photocopied his Log book, & I'll look it up if anyones interested). This was nearly LR 503's last sortie, the starboard engine started to run very rough, the oil pressure went to zero in seconds. Tony switched the engine off & tried to feather the prop. However, the prop kept windmilling & wouldn't feather properly. He managed to fly the Mosquito back to Bourne & land safely. On checking why the prop wouldn't feather it was found that there was no compression in the Merlin & the prop could be pushed round by hand. Well Knackered!!!
The second, He marked the coastal batteries on D-Day. They hadn't been told what was about to happen (although he had a good idea). They flew out in darkness, but on their return there was enough light to see all the Allied ships heading for Normandy. You can imagine their excitemnet, but on landing all the crews were confined to their quarters, because it was still top secret! That's where Tony & his navigator spent the early part of D-Day. Full of excitement & no-one to tell or talk to!

I know I've posted this picture before but what the heck!!! The other piccie gives an idea of the size of my baby Mossie!

Time for a lie down!

All the best to all,

Neilly

Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c80948393c9b54b.jpg
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c8095a7955342cc.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

i know a person he has bought an old Spitfire(just the body) and it stands in his driveway lawn!!!I think he should had bought it with engine....:p

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanx for filling us in Neilly, nice story, nice model. My RC flying is appalling, unfortunately!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Tony,
You got to keep practicing, with the R/c. I've been playing since 1985. The early years, I went through several models, but eventually the arrivals start turning into landings & the models start lasting!
By the way- did you go to school in Glossop, as I went to school witha Tony Dyer?

Cheers,
Neilly