Bristol Aircraft Company Drawings/Plans ??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi , sorry but another question ,

especially for those who used to , or do work at Bristol Filton works ..

I was told like i said in a recent thread ,by a old work mate long gone in my past, when he worked in BAC Filton in the late 80s he remembers a building on the far side of the airfield, that no one visited ,which still had traces of camouflage
paint on the walls from the war,

he said in one of these buildings it was full of tons of very old paperwork plans,drawings etc::confused:

Can ANYONE corroborate this ??.. and if so ... my worst fear is such types as the Britannia,Brigand ,Buckmaster ,beaufighter etc may have had original plans withing this building, he said they were not in order, just piles of old papers, i now fear these buildings have been destroyed to make way for housing.. and if so.. has Anyone saved any of these drawings?.... or were they all simply thrown out:eek:

it would be such a shame if they have been lost for ever. a real treasure chest of bristol history down the pan.. i would like to think somewhere some drawings were saved ??
;)

also.. would anyone who works there know who to contact, regarding drawings ??. as the plant /factory is so big there, that ive been told to actually get to talk to someone who might know, would be virtually impossible.:rolleyes: as before i managed to get hold of the right man, i would have to fight through a sea of secretary's ,PA people ,line managers, etc etc,,just to find out, its something i think needs to be saved.. thats only if ,we are not too late ??

would any other companies been supplied with plans who built these parts ??, that are still in existance??.. might even be worth going down that road , and see what we can find ... westlands maybe.. they too built beaufighters..??.. i myself am after brigand plans, just for the panels, etc, but its all worth saving, if poss ??

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

The buildings were the old RAF domestic site known as the "501 site", which have now gone. Yes, some of the old camo painted buildings were used as a deep archive mainly for Concorde data. This was filtered with all useful originals recovered and moved prior to the buildings demolition. I know the chap who retired from Airbus but was then taken back on a contract to do the sorting. He told me there was no pre 1960's data and all the recovered material was microfilmed and is still held.

Most of the Concorde deep technical data, together with a relatively small quantity of other old "sensitive" technical data is still held at Filton but I understand its Airbus company confidential,...... but I know it's there.

If you want Bristol data ie pre 1960 (ish) you need to contact the Bristol Aero Collection as they officially manage Bristols non sensitive historical archive on behalf of Airbus. I understand they're pretty helpful but I don't have a name.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Many thanks for that :)

I have been contacted today from the BAC a nice chap told me all they had was a copy of the AP for the brigand mrk 1 . and he was willing to let me go to
kemble and photograph the relevant pages regarding the cockpit panels etc..
as far as he is aware the AP is all there is to be had, as for drawings, i think they are lost:(

but the AP is a great insight :D

would be nice for a small group of people to collate any material regarding the Brigand ??.. as as far as i am aware, there is not anyone ,who really specializes
in this type,theres the Blenheim society , Britannia Preservation group, etc, a Beaufighter is being restored, and i know there is a beaufort in hendon, the

Brigand,is the last of the missing link, :(.. and like the other "Missing /extinct aircraft groups, it would be nice to have a small band of like minded people who would like to preserve anything to do with the brigand,especially as there is so little left ??

what does the forumites think about this ?? ,

Member for

18 years 7 months

Many of the original drawings for the whole range of Bristol Aircraft used to reside with the technical publications department at Fillton in the late 1980's.

During a clear out before site re-development most of these were sent to the RAF Museum. I remember Bulldog drawings definately going.

At the time there were also some Brigand GA drawings as I had previously looked at them when I was working at Filton and had the apprentices rebuilding the gun bay doors for the Swift WK198.

The last time I was in contct with Filton, about 15 years ago, there was very little still with the photographic departments, technical publications or the publicity department.

The best course is to enquire of Hendon

Member for

20 years 10 months

During a clear out before site re-development most of these were sent to the RAF Museum. I remember Bulldog drawings definately going.
The Bulldog (Type 105) has hundreds of entries in the current MAC drawing schedule - so certainly have survived, not sure about other types though.