Chipmunks And Bulldogs!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

Found my old log book from my cadet days! Dont know if this info will interest anyone.

Chipmunk WG 479 - 3 AEF Colerne Airfield.

Chipmunk WP 929 - 8 AEF RAF Shawbury.

Bulldog T.1 - 5 AEF Cambridge.

Bulldog T.1 XX 913 - 3 AEF Colerne.

Bulldog T.1 XX 552 - 6 AEF RAF Manston.

also

Vigilant ZH 190 - Ternhill.

Vigilant ZH 117 - Ternhill.

Vigilant ZH 197 - RAF Shawbury.

Original post

Member for

16 years

Thanks for sharing those. What year was that?
WP929 is now at Duxford.
Jim

Member for

14 years 7 months

My WP 929 flight was 30 Sept 1995. A bright clear sky, it was perfect! Unfortunately I dont have any pics:(

Is 929 still flying?

Member for

16 years 4 months

Yes! '929 is now G-BXCV and registered to Ardmore-a Hong Kong based company

Member for

24 years 2 months

Chippies WP967, WB567, WZ875 12 AEF Turnhouse late 70's. Wonder what became of them.

Member for

14 years 7 months

:diablo:

Yes! '929 is now G-BXCV and registered to Ardmore-a Hong Kong based company

I can feel a trip coming on!:diablo::dev2: Havnt been to duxford since I was a kid. I was 13 and never been on a plane before and the pilot even let me take the stick!

Am I right in saying the Chippers were started by cartridge? just remember lots of smoke thats all, and that my pilot was a recently retired hunter and jag pilot!

Would i be able to get close to the aircraft do you think? what does it do these days?

Member for

14 years 9 months

Chippies

I remember WP803 at Bicester. It was used to do a lot of towing for the Gliding Centre. Anyone know if it is still around.

Also a Chippie in Service markings was at Sandown to-day. Update: WK611 / G-ARWB.

Great aircraft.

Member for

16 years 4 months

:diablo:

I can feel a trip coming on!:diablo::dev2: Havnt been to duxford since I was a kid. I was 13 and never been on a plane before and the pilot even let me take the stick!

Am I right in saying the Chippers were started by cartridge? just remember lots of smoke thats all, and that my pilot was a recently retired hunter and jag pilot!

Would i be able to get close to the aircraft do you think? what does it do these days?

Chipmunks used to be started by cartridges, but I think most of them (if not all) have been converted to some sort of electrical starting system by now (I'm no engineer!) and I haven't been to Duxford for a while myself, so I don't where that particular aeroplane is, but there MIGHT be someone on here who can arrange something for you-best of luck!

Member for

14 years 7 months

thanks oxcart,

be great if i could see her again! be gratefull of any news but to see her would be quite amazing!

fingers crossed lol!

Member for

17 years 1 month

Dug out my moth eaten old 3822 and my list is:
Chipmunk WP896 RAF St Athan
Chipmunk WP929 RAF St Athan
Chipmunk WB560 Im Guessing Exeter Airport
Chipmunk WP920 RAF St Mawgan
Chipmunk WP920 RAF Abbingdon
Chipmunk WP833 Exeter Airport
Chipmunk WP833 Exeter Airport
Chipmunk WK642 Exeter Airport

Plus
3 Gazzelle flights
2 Wessex Flights
2 Puma flights
1 Nimrod
1 Chinook
1 Hercules
1 DH Rapide!:eek:

I was realy, realy, realy lucky with the amount of time and variety of aircraft that I flew in with whilst in the ATC.
I logged 22 hours and 24 minutes airtime.
My highlight was my chippy flight out of St Mawgan, I used to spend hours as a kid watching the Shackletons and Nimrods on approach to St Mawgan over my Nan and Grandads house up at Hensbarrow Beacon, It made my day to fly the same route over their house, then to U turn and barrel roll over their house!

Member for

16 years 4 months

thanks oxcart,

be great if i could see her again! be gratefull of any news but to see her would be quite amazing!

fingers crossed lol!

Hey, no problem, BRB!- very best of luck to you!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Chippies WP967, WB567, WZ875 12 AEF Turnhouse late 70's. Wonder what became of them.

Well I have never managed a flight in a Chipmunk although I did have one in my garage. I have uploaded a few photos for DER here:-
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/crwhitton/Chipmunk#

Member for

15 years 5 months

I've got Chipmunks WB652, WP981, WZ872 at Cambridge, WK517 at Leeming and WP974 at Coningsby, Vigilants ZH121 and ZH122 at Henlow and Dakota G-AMPZ at Luton.

Member for

16 years

WP967 and WB567 went from Turnhouse to RAF Newton for storage according to "Chipmunk - the First 50 Years" written in 1996 but neither of these is in the current "Military Aircraft Markings".
WZ875 flew into the ground during aerobatics near Dunfermline 5/3/78,
Jim

RAF Turnhouse used to be very accomodating to ATC cadets. I hitched there a couple of times from Newcastle in the 1950s and there were always lots of interesting things to see. Happy memories,
Jim

Member for

16 years

I think part of the de- militarization ofthe Chippy was to have an electric/battery start as the cartridge was considered too dangerous for civilian use. Does any one have a photo of the Chipmunks used by the Lightning TFF's i saw a picture once of a grey Chipmunk with the Dayglow badge of the TFF on the side

Member for

18 years 2 months

Talking of Chipmunks ...Did any of you out there ever fly in chippie's WP838 and WK610 of Bristol UAS ... Ive got a small piece of WP838 which a local farmer gave me, they were both involved in a air collision in September 1967 Near Portishead ,Bristol. would be nice to hear from anyone who flew these two aircraft, the crash is talked about now and again at village functions. infact WK610 is pretty much where she dived in , in on bog land near Walton in Gordano,which is now a nature reserve, I believe at the time the MOD could not retrieve the wreckage, as for WP838 she went down into the side of a hill, less than a mile away and burnt out, I hasent to add, Both crews Baled out :D

Member for

17 years 8 months

Bulldog XX552

This aircraft served with Southampton UAS. I flew her 8 times between Jan 1975 and Nov 1976 mainly from Hamble Airfield.:)

Member for

18 years 6 months

WP967 and WB567 went from Turnhouse to RAF Newton for storage according to "Chipmunk - the First 50 Years" written in 1996 but neither of these is in the current "Military Aircraft Markings".

Jim

WP967 flies in France as F-AZJQ
WB567 fliews in Australia as VH-JHN

Pretty good that 2 out of 3 are still fliers

Member for

19 years 2 months

WP967 flies in France as F-AZJQ
WB567 fliys in Australia as VH-JHN

Pretty good that 2 out of 3 are still fliers

WB567 had a tow hook but dont know what it used to tow.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Talking of Chipmunks ...Did any of you out there ever fly in chippie's WP838 and WK610 of Bristol UAS ... Ive got a small piece of WP838 which a local farmer gave me, they were both involved in a air collision in September 1967 Near Portishead ,Bristol. would be nice to hear from anyone who flew these two aircraft, the crash is talked about now and again at village functions. infact WK610 is pretty much where she dived in , in on bog land near Walton in Gordano,which is now a nature reserve, I believe at the time the MOD could not retrieve the wreckage, as for WP838 she went down into the side of a hill, less than a mile away and burnt out, I hasent to add, Both crews Baled out :D

I flew both WP838 and WK610 while serving as a staff cadet with
with Nbr 3 Air Experience Flight.
I left in 1966 prior to the accident but understood that they were
practising formation aerobatics.The commanding Officer of
Bristol University was in one of the Aircraft.
WK610 in my time was a dedicated BUAS A/C WP838 was allocated
to 3AEF. Although both units pooled A/C.

Member for

15 years 6 months

@ Robert Whitton

They used to tow the Air Cadet Gliders (T21/T31) at Syerston, but also were used for towing other gliders at the various services competitions in the 1960's and 70's.

Not many of the fleet were fitted with hooks so you have a rare bird there.

A bit underpowered for the big modern GRP gliders tho'

Arc