Duxford Spring Airshow 2010

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

My 'part one' Hi-Def video of Sunday's Duxford display is now up on my aviation blog, link below.
More to come in similar 15-20 minute sections.

David
www.focalplanes.co.uk

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

:D

More, more, more!!!!!!

Great stuff indeed. What other airshows are you planning on doing?

Member for

14 years 1 month

Excllent stuff - can't wait for Part 2.:D:D

Member for

20 years 6 months

:) Lovely stuff,you can't even hear the commentator.
Were you airside?
What sort of camera is it,is it a the 5D Canon DSLR as you say on the other page you used.
It is nice to see the quality of picture and sound:)
If it was the DSLR ,what lenses did you use,Thanks for sharing.:)

Member for

15 years 4 months

Yes the camera is 'a stills camera', a Canon 5D Mk2. It's a real pain to make into a workable video camera as just about everything for operating like a true video camera is 'wrong'...camera balance, viewing, focus, zoom controls and sound...all have to be addressed before you stand any chance of getting the sort of video that a dedicated video camera gives. However its greatest plus point is it's wonderful 'cinematic' picture quality. That's mainly due to the 'full size' (ie 35mm) sensor and the depth of field that comes from the sensor size and those stills camera lenses.
I am 'behind the fence' and not airside like Iain Campbell and his PlanesTV guys or Steven Connor (FlyingMachinesTV). Very envious of that...but then they are trying to make money out of DVD's and I'm not.
You'll see the focus issues I have in part two, as I'm leaving in some of my 'throwing focus' shots since in the end I don't think they detract too much in what will only be a 'single viewing experience' for everyone and not like a DVD that you view repeatably.
David

(Oops I seem to have become someone other than 'Postfade'...I'm on my work computer)

Member for

20 years 6 months

:) Thanks for the reply.I thought the video was excellent and love the thought of being able to use the good quality lenses.
Have they made any improvements with the video/handling on the newer bodies,i think it's the 7 d.
I would imagine that memory is a problem,do you need lots of it and a quick writing card?
Sorry for the questions but this is the first video taken at an airshow by someone from our side of the fence with equipment that can be bought on the high street i've seen.
Thanks again and well done.:)

Member for

15 years 4 months

Trumper:
This lens is the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS fitted with a 2x converter. That makes it 140-400mm in 'normal 35mm 'terms. If you were using a 7D or 550D then the crop factor would mean it was even 'more telephoto'.
I'm using 16Gb CF cards, which take about 45mins of video, but the writing speed apparently doesn't have to be super fast.
There's lots and lots of great info on using DSLR's for video. i like 'dvinfo.net' but if you want to see what can be achieved if you have the talent (I don't yet) then have a look at these:
http://exposureroom.com/members/PacificPictures/1ce5ccae7cc64630aa48ad858a9ae042/
or
http://vimeo.com/10570139
both are shot on the 5D2.
The video that got us all interested was this one, shot before Canon addressed the issue of 'manual exposure control':
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/10/10/without-further-ado-reverie/

You can see that even experienced cinematographers have become excited about these cameras.
There are problems as for instance they produce 'strobing' (aliasing) very easily when shooting objects with repeating patterns, but I love the overall quality.
Unfortunately I now have big hole in my wallet!

Member for

20 years 6 months

:) Thanks David.Those films are very impressive BUT they are made with crews and equipment and editing we mortals will not normally have access to.
This is why i am so pleased to see your video,real life everyday filming Thanks :)

Member for

15 years 4 months

Merlot,

It doesn't really matter what the video software is but in my case (because I'm 'very PC') it's Premier Pro CS4.
I just use the recommended settings that Vimeo produce for HD ie 1280x720 H264 with audio at 44.1k. I keep the image 'progressive' as it's not for 'interlaced TV's'. It's great now that the Canon cameras produce 25fps PAL as prior to this my video's were shot at 30 and tweaked to be 29.97 NTSC. That produced judders on slow pans etc.
In fact I'm having to 'downscale' to achieve the Vimeo settings, as the camera produces 1920x1080p and I record all my audio 24bit 48k. That's mainly because, being a sound engineer, I'd like my aviation audio recordings to 'have a life'...after all we may not hear some of these planes forever and I'm already missing the sounds of Hastings, Beverley's, Comet's, Britannia's, CV880's, 707's...the list goes on!
The mic that's on these is a Sennheiser 416 but it could be a cheap 'Rode Video mic'...it would cope with aircraft just as well I'm sure. Just don't 'over record' as digital is totally unforgiving when all the digits are full.
I think the Vimeo 'HD off' may be something decided by your computer, as I get HD on all the time.
Do watch HD full-screen by the way, unless your computer or the Broadband chokes.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Fantastic!!!!

Member for

15 years 4 months

Part two now on my website given below.
The RAF Cranwell Grob Tutor shows just how good it is at aerobatics. The lovely Provost and Jet Provost display then Shuttleworth's SE5A and Bristol Fighter and finally we see close ups of two of the 3 ship Hurricane display.

DT

aviation video and stills: www.focalplanes.co.uk

Member for

15 years 4 months

The part three video is now on www.focalplanes.co.uk.

This has the display by 3 Hurricanes, pity the 4th didn't get airborne.
Then the pace increases with the RAF Display Hawk.
The JP5 is cleared to make a very hurried departure before Jonathan Whalley starts off his usual superb display in Hunter 'Miss Demeanor' with that wonderful low level fast turn after take-off.
All in great looking Hi Def...shot with a stills camera.

DT

Member for

14 years 1 month

These are really cracking videos. Having enjoyed the show "in the flesh" it is wonderful to re-live it through these films. Thank you for sharing them.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I think it is already being spent"!;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi David, only just had the chance to look at the vids, excellent stuff, and I see what you mean about an analogue sort of touch to it.
Can any DSLR do this, I have a Nikon D60 and can't see any facility to shoot movies?

Member for

15 years 4 months

Hi Pagen01,

Not every DSLR, but more have it available now.
Initially it was the Nikon D90 which had HD at 720p size I think, but then Canon put HD recording at 1920x1080 on the 5DMk2. That was the one that caused the stir when people saw the quality that was achieved. So Canon followed that up with the 7D, a slightly smaller sensor. Subsequently Panasonic joined in with the HD-1 and Canon put HD video on their pro camera the 1D and then cheapest, the 550D.
Now Panasonic have announced a 'videocamera' using their HD-1 Lumix chip for the end of the year. It will have a proper 'video' body instead of the stills camera body.
Best to wait until early next year to see what happens I think, as all the manufacturers have been taken aback by the uses that even pros are putting to their still cameras and won't want to lose their existing video camera sales.
DT

Member for

16 years 7 months

Thanks DT, looks like big wonga then!

Member for

15 years 4 months

Pagen01,
Yes producing good quality video is all rather expensive. I would love to produce the quality of work that Ed Shipley's team at www.asb.com come up with...but alas I'm not a millionaire TV producer turned Mustang display pilot like he is.

My next part is on my video blog website:
In part four: Charlie Brown displays the Hawker Nimrod, Hunter ‘Miss Demeanor’ returns to the pan, with Alan Dixon once more airborne, this time in his Pembroke. Spitfire LFIX and Steven Grey’s Sea Fury display and Mustang ‘Miss Velmar’ and Anna Walker in the Harvard depart. A trio of deHavilland’s, a Dragon Rapide and 2 Chippies and also the BBMF Dak does it’s ‘final checks’ nearby.

D
www.focalplanes.co.uk

Member for

15 years 4 months

That's another nice one Mauld...I've always enjoyed your work.
Did you film most the Nimrod on a pre-show day? Great to have none of the irritating commentary!

D

Member for

16 years 7 months

No it was shot on the display day, I just edited the audio to get rid of the commentry.