TV alert - Fighting The Red Baron. UK Channel 4, 9pm. Friday 4th June.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

Heading for the TV screens. A programme with which we assisted last year will finally see the light of day in the UK on Channel 4.

As the official press release explains: "Fighting the Red Baron follows two modern-day pilots as they face the same challenges the aviators of WW1 faced, in order to find out how aerial warfare changed so quickly in just four years. Andy Offer and Mark Cutmore are both Red Arrows pilots, the elite of the elite, hugely skilled pilots who served in RAF operations in Afghanistan and Yugoslavia respectively. In this film they fly original WW1 aircraft, and carry out the key challenges the plane took on in the course of WW1: photo reconnaissance, artillery ranging and bombing missions, all leading to a final classic dogfight in replica period aircraft kitted out with camera guns.

"Today in their extreme WW1 flying challenges, Andy and Mark test their flying skills to the limit and it is an exhilarating and surprising experience. They find that all the aspects of modern aerial warfare, from surveillance to artillery ranging, were already being refined by their pioneering counterparts almost a hundred years ago. Their journey charts the historical ‘big-bang’ moments of the race for aerial supremacy and reveals how, in just four years of war, aircraft were transformed from flimsy flying machines to the warplanes recognisable today. "

We were delighted to offer the use of the 'Biggles Biplane' hangar and several 'props' for filming at Sywell, including the 'Biggles Biplane' BE-2 replica and Paul Ford's Fokker DR-1 replica. There was also quite a bit of filming at Old Warden and Stow Maries airfields.

Should be interesting to see the finished article. Certainly the action shots seen so far look awesome!

More, pics etc. on www.biggles-biplane.com

http://www.kingpinmedia.co.uk/_OtherSites/Biggles/images/gallery/images/279.jpg
http://www.kingpinmedia.co.uk/_OtherSites/Biggles/images/gallery/images/280.jpg

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I question the line in the suitably breathless press release...
"In this film they fly original WW1 aircraft..." (Emphasis added).

How original are they?
Modern designed replicas?
Modern materials?
Modern (or improved) engines?

Now having today's service pilots fly a 100% authentic aircraft (rotarys, "blip switches", no brakes, and all) on simulated combat missions (having to navigate and no weather data)...that would be interesting. :0

Member for

20 years 8 months

Definitely gonna watch this one.

BTW, that second pic is my new desktop! :D

Member for

18 years 11 months

At last! Almost a year after the two day segment at Old Warden was filmed. Watch out for Air Mechanic Langham

Member for

19 years

Looking fwd to seeing how this one has turned out, had great fun playing the "Baron" himself in Paul and Sarah Fords Triplane.
Going to the pre screening next Wednesday so should be able to let you know how good it is!
J Boyle, apart from flying modern replica's they also went and did some flying down at OW;) Lets not start ripping it to bits before its even been seen:rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

In the the explosion pic..is that right hand SE5 dog fighting an F.117? Bit unfair I would have thought!!

Member for

19 years 5 months

J Boyle, apart from flying modern replica's they also went and did some flying down at OW;) Lets not start ripping it to bits before its even been seen:rolleyes:

I really wasn't ripping it...just nitpicking their word choice in their news release.:D:D:D

Member for

19 years

I really wasn't ripping it...just nitpicking their word choice in their news release.:D:D:D

Well thats PR press releases for you:D

Member for

19 years 5 months

Well thats PR press releases for you:D

Not when I write them. :D

Member for

18 years 3 months

In the the explosion pic..is that right hand SE5 dog fighting an F.117? Bit unfair I would have thought!!

Yeah, too right, the F117 could never turn that tight...

Member for

19 years 5 months

Not to mention the F-117 didn't have machine guns or cannon...

Member for

24 years 3 months

..Deserves all he gets though, that stray laser-guided munition has just caused a rather nasty explosion.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Looking fwd to seeing how this one has turned out, had great fun playing the "Baron" himself in Paul and Sarah Fords Triplane.
Going to the pre screening next Wednesday so should be able to let you know how good it is!

Maybe see you there - a year ago I missed the premiere of something else I starred in, so would be bad form for me to miss another!

Member for

19 years

Maybe see you there - a year ago I missed the premiere of something else I starred in, so would be bad form for me to miss another!

Starred in eh:rolleyes: Must get your autograph when i see you next:D

Member for

20 years 8 months

The advert's just been on. Look's good!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Starred in eh:rolleyes: Must get your autograph when i see you next:D

See you on Sunday then, i've even got a nice authentic pencil with me :D

Member for

17 years 11 months

Aaaarggg cant see it here downunder,can someone youtube it please ??

Member for

20 years 1 month

Looks like a great show!

Wow...some concept for a show.....hope this one makes it over the big pond here in the states. Unlike their real counterparts.......man I hope their wearing parachutes.............. lets hope for a safe broadcast ! The Baron was a great pilot...but wasn't he taken down by a single 303 round fired from the ground by an Australian trooper on the ground ?????

TC

Member for

20 years 8 months

Depends who you talk to!

Member for

18 years 11 months

The most likely person to have shot him down did it with one of many .303 rounds, a Lewis gunner on the ground, also an Australian I believe - other options were Brown, a Vickers gunner, a Lewis gunner and various others popping away with SMLE's - all of whom were of course using .303 rounds!