Lancaster Postcard

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

I was having a clear out and found this in an old briefcase in the loft. I remember I used to have it pinned up by my desk at work in the late 80's and also on a kitchen notice board (see pin marks!) Its back up in my study now!

I'm hoping that its OK to post this and there is no copyright problem as I think its a fantastic Lancaster photo, the back of the postcard has had much of any printing removed by sellotape etc over the years, I've tried google for a while to try and trace any original picture on the web but haven't been able to find it.

I hope its Ok to share, I think its a perfect photo.

(Or shall I e-bay it as a genuine WW2 Lancaster returning at dawn from the Rhur !?):diablo:

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 10 months

Looks almost like the Lanc' seen about to touch down at Fiskerton last winter....

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/jgfive/LincsOct09/LincsOct09022.jpg

;) :D

Member for

18 years 8 months

Martin

Can you give us some background on why the lancaster was at Fiskerton last winter and did it actually touch down?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice model Martin!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Ha Ha...........Yes ,I had to look twice...very effective.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The anti shimmy tailwheels is a dead give away as well as the markings as BBMF have never flown as S Sugar

Member for

20 years 6 months

As is the H2S radome, cracking model and pic! As regards the original post I also have this pic as sent to me on a Christmas Card and IIRC is of the BBMF Lanc landing at a rather misty Old Warden - Perfect shot, could quite easily be 1943/44 and returning from a mission over Germany. I scanned mine and is now my desktop pic.

Martin

Member for

14 years 10 months

Sorry guys - I didn't for a moment think that anyone'd take it seriously ! :o

I basically pulled up by the fence next to the road, removed Corgi Lancaster from box, plonked model on fence so......

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/jgfive/LincsOct09/LincsOct09023.jpg

....a little bit of (very) basic PhotoShoppery - and hey presto !

Still, at least I can say that the model was actually there.....;)

Member for

16 years 8 months

I love my die-cast collection as much as the next man, but I don't take them out for nice drives in the country. Thats a little obsessive don't you think ? :rolleyes::diablo:

Member for

24 years 3 months

You've got a rudder balance weight missing, too!

Member for

14 years 10 months

You've got a rudder balance weight missing, too!

It was Hell over that Ruhr that night......;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hillarious Martin..I can hear the report now.. attacked by ju88 which was promptly shot down in flames by the rear gunner.. only damage was a shot off rudder balance weight!

Member for

17 years 6 months

...IIRC is of the BBMF Lanc landing at a rather misty Old Warden...

Really, surely you wouldn’t get a Lancaster into (or out of) Old Warden? :confused:

Member for

20 years 6 months

Pretty sure thats what it says on the blurb on the back. I will have to dig it out to confirm. But on a careful look the Lanc isnt set up for a landing as there is hardly any flaps showing. Surely so low there would be full flap set.

Martin

Member for

24 years 3 months

I remember the card from years ago, and always thought it was a take off- the flaps would indicate this too.

Member for

20 years 6 months

After a quick Google I found this up for auction last year

A signed postcard showing a Lancaster bomber flying low over Old Warden Aerodrome, signed by various Lancaster crew, including Bill Reid V.C., and Rear Gunner Howie Wing.

It sold for £80

Martin

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

You are a better "Goggler" than me ! - Nice find, I think I'd pay for a decent sized copy of the print - mine is a torn, faded and full of pin holes !

Member for

16 years 8 months

It is a fantastic pic, probably the most 'operationally realistic' shot of the BBMF Lanc I've seen