Best DH89 Dragon Rapide book?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

I've noticed there's two Air Britain books on the de Havilland Dragon Rapide and other Dragon series - the Colin Dodds book entitled 'The story of the de Havilland Dragon types' and John Hamlin's 'The de Havilland Dragon Rapide family' - on the Air Britain site the Dodds book is mentioned as a 'companion' to the Hamlin book, is the Dodds an updated version of Hamlin's or are they widely different?

Original post

Member for

17 years 9 months

I don't have the Hamlin book but I have the Dodds book and this is a very good largely pictorial history Another excellent book to compliment this is de Havilland Biplane Transports by Paul Hayes and Bernard King and this contains individual histories for the 83, 84, 86, 89 and 90.

John

Member for

16 years 3 months

Two different books: John Hamlin's was published in 2003 and Colin Dodds in 2005.

The Hamlin book is more of a production list of the four types (five if you count the Dolphin). It does have an appendix of UK operators of the four types.

Colin's book is much more narrative describing various aspects of operations of each type.

To my mind the books complement each other. Both have excellent photographic coverage with very few duplications. I bought them both...........!!!

Planemike