Best Spitfire Book?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

Which book would forumites say is the best all round book on the Supermarine Spitfire?
That is it covers most of the aspects of design, construction, RAF & foreign service, individual historys, personalities involved, survivors, perhaps a bit on Seafires and FAA etc - the definitive book as it were.

Mark12s book dosen't count as not available yet!;)

I'm asking on behalf of a friend, honest!:o

Original post

Member for

19 years 7 months

Well I always reach for Morgan and Shacklady's little work.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Surely it has to be Key Published tome by Eric Morgan and Edward Shacklady?
For me, this IS the definitive book on the type, but would complement it with Air Britain's "Spitfire International" book

Attachments

Member for

21 years 1 month

Bruce Robertson's book on the Spitfire will always be my favorite.

It covers more of what the original poster is asking. Spit the History is a great book too, but it's lacks the personal stories etc.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Spitfire - Portrait of a legend, by Leo McKinstry is rather good.

Member for

19 years 3 months

My best book on the Spitfire is "Spitfire - the Story of a famous Fighter" By Bruce Robertson published 1960 . I have a 3rd Edition 1973 purchased for £3 in 1983. Cover Price £5.

But I hope the best is yet to come.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have just picked up reading this after putting it down about a year ago..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41U8sSRtM3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Whilst many purists would likely poo-poo it, I think it gives a nice gentle introduction and overview to the subject.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Alfred Price

the "Spitfire Story" is always a winner with me, the big Key book is a bible for checking technical details etc for me, but the Alfred Price book is a better "read" IMPO.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Morgan and Shacklady is the Spitaholics bible, in my view. I picked up an 'as new' copy a few years ago on Amazon for £18 plus p&p.

Member for

14 years 3 months

'Birth of a Legend: The Spitfire' by Jeffrey Quill is a very interesting and readable account of the Spitfire and there was no one better qualified to write it.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Boys book of spitfires, by mk12, also available in large print for the more senior readers....

Member for

20 years 8 months

the "Spitfire Story" is always a winner with me, the big Key book is a bible for checking technical details etc for me, but the Alfred Price book is a better "read" IMPO.

This one. Interesting to see that there's two versions kicking about as well.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Spitfire books.

I have a copy of " Spitfire - A Complete Fighting History " by Alfred Price. ISBN 1 85648 015 1.
This combines two books by Ian Allan written in 1974 and 1986. :)

Member for

14 years 5 months

Birth of a Legend by Jeffery quill has to be the best read but not a lot of "pretty pictures"....................
I also quite like my Haynes Manual. Fist time I ever saw the main spar construction Brilliant piece of engineering!!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks for all the great input people!:)
I have read one of the Jeffrey Quill books myself, and though doubtless unbeatable, I'm not quite sure it is what is required.
The Morgan / Shacklady book appears to be the broadest tome.