Buchon OO-MAF: A rare sight

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Today, a rare sight could be seen at the airfield of Brasschaat. A fly-in took place to celebrate the 100th aniversary of the airfield. For the first time since 1996, the localy stored ME109 Buchon OO-MAF was shown to the public. It was placed in a Static line-up. A few pics:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/stieglitz/Week/Braschaat0620101.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/stieglitz/Week/Braschaat0620102.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/stieglitz/Week/Braschaat0620103.jpg

Tomorrow, the Buchon will be on static display again. After the event, it will be put back into storage.

A rare chance for those who are nearby ...

BR,
Stiggy

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

Many thanks for taking and sharing those Stiggy :) Nice to see the taller tail too!

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

Member for

16 years 7 months

A fly-in took place to celebrate the 100th aniversary of the airfield.

Join the club! This year Shoreham aerodrome - in the UK - is celebrating its centenary, as is Niort aerodrome - in France. How many more members of the aerodrome "ton up" club will there be this year?

Member for

15 years

Nice looking aircraft.Thanks for the pictures.What"s the gen on this Buchon,is it privately owned and any plans for flying it and is it maintained in an airworthy condition?.Thanks.

Member for

20 years

The Buchon has not flown for almost 20 years. There are no plans to fly it in 2010. But it is maintained in airworthy condition to keep all options open for the future.

Stieglitz

Member for

20 years 4 months

Is that a later mark tail on OO-MAF? The photo on the Airshows forum appears to show a 'regular' Bf109 tail.

Member for

20 years 9 months

According to http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com

HA-1112-M1L, WNr.201, Serial No.C.4K-131

Tail replaced by taller tail to improve directional stability. Old tail sold to owner of WNr.15343

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

Member for

16 years 9 months

yeh she was modded to ease her handling, what good it does when she is not flown is anyones guess

Member for

15 years

Thanks for the gen re. her status,at least she"s in airworthy condition then, which is good,in my opinion.

Member for

14 years 5 months

The Prop looks a bit small? or is it just the pictures?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Here is a photo from up front.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

Good to see that, but I wish they'd get her up and about - especially given this anniversary year.... :(

Member for

20 years 9 months

Agree with you there Daz! Does anybody know if she has ever flown with the taller tail?

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

Member for

20 years

No, she has not flown with the new tail.

There where plans to let the Buchon preform some engine runs during the open door, but this did not happen. The mechanics of Vormezeele had much work during the last few weeks. They have put the T28 Trojan N377WW in the air for the first time last week since it was imported from the US. After a testflight, it flew in at Braschaat on saturday and so made it's first flying appearance for the general public. Also The Vormezeele team worked hard on the P51D Mustang PH-VDF which got airborne again for the first time after some major repairs on friday the 18th. The Mustang made a flyby at braschaat during this first flight on friday to mark the start of the the fly-inn.

So they are very busy.

Stieglitz

Member for

16 years 9 months

No, she has not flown with the new tail.

There where plans to let the Buchon preform some engine runs during the open door, but this did not happen. The mechanics of Vormezeele had much work during the last few weeks. They have put the T28 Trojan N377WW in the air for the first time last week since it was imported from the US. After a testflight, it flew in at Braschaat on saturday and so made it's first flying appearance for the general public. Also The Vormezeele team worked hard on the P51D Mustang PH-VDF which got airborne again for the first time after some major repairs on friday the 18th. The Mustang made a flyby at braschaat during this first flight on friday to mark the start of the the fly-inn.

So they are very busy.

Stieglitz

imo they got thier prioities wrong, obviously they own the aircraft and can do what they like with it, alot more P51's and T28's around then airworthy buchons...

shame but cant be helped that they neglect the aircraft (obviously she is cared for but having not flown for 20 years hardly loved) , you can almost hear her scream to get airbourne...

Member for

20 years 7 months

I never noticed it before, but this particular Buchon has the cannon fairings and stall fences(?) that were removed for Battle of Britain. So were these reinstated during a rebuild?

Member for

19 years

Not that I'm doubting it (well perhaps;)) but has anyone ever seen an image of this aircraft in flight? I recall some taxiing pictures in FP about 10 years ago and a couple of cockpit shots, but actually in the air...

Member for

16 years 9 months

Not that I'm doubting it (well perhaps;)) but has anyone ever seen an image of this aircraft in flight? I recall some taxiing pictures in FP about 10 years ago and a couple of cockpit shots, but actually in the air...

last time it was flown i believe is when it arrived at the field...

over 20 years ago

Member for

24 years 2 months

Daz - what's the anniversary you would like her up and about for this year?
Spanish Air Force formation??

Member for

20 years 7 months

Stop splitting hairs... :rolleyes: