Mosquito restoration

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 9 months

did anyone else know this was going on???

it is being restored in new zeland

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/

Original post

Member for

13 years 9 months

Mossie restoration

I understand another is being restored to fly near Victoria BC, Canada.
Don't know much about it except the owner is in Vancouver.

Member for

20 years 7 months

The Canadian Mosquito is another that's been covered quite a bit on here.

Member for

16 years 2 months

There are 3 builds rebuilds going on in NZ that I know of, Glyns & Avspecs [both of which I saw last December when in NZ] and another in Christchurch, heres a forum link with pics.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=11415

In one of the threads it mentions a 4th but haven't read the posts in depth so don't know where the 4th is.

Member for

20 years

In one of the threads it mentions a 4th but haven't read the posts in depth so don't know where the 4th is.

The fourth is another static restoration going on at the Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT) at Western Springs, Auckland. This is very advanced after many years of restoration by MOTAT and the RNZAF Museum in partnership. It was rescued in the 1960's from rotting away under a farm hedge, but now is very much back to looking like a proper Mosquito.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Currently there are four Mosquitoes under restoration here in NZ, two to be static in Museums and two to airworthy.

Static restorations;
- T-43, NZ2305 (A52-19/A52-1053) at MOTAT in Auckland.
- FB.VI, NZ2383 (HR339) at Ferrymead in Christchurch.

Airworthy restorations;
- T-43, NZ2308 (A52-20/A52-1054), under restoration by Glynn Powell for Glynn Powell.
- FB.26, KA114 under restoration at Avspecs, Auckland for Jerry Yagen.

There is also FB.VI NZ2336 (TE910) stored in time capsule condition with John Smith in Mapua.

Member for

16 years 2 months

The fourth is another static restoration going on at the Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT) at Western Springs, Auckland. This is very advanced after many years of restoration by MOTAT and the RNZAF Museum in partnership. It was rescued in the 1960's from rotting away under a farm hedge, but now is very much back to looking like a proper Mosquito.

:eek: I visited MoTAT but didn't know anything of a mossie restoration thanks for the info

Member for

20 years

It is in their restoration hangar which only opens on Wednesdays and Saturdays when the volunteer team are there. Their Hudson is also being assembled and repainted in there, with wings back on for the first time since the war I think.

Member for

20 years 10 months

There is also FB.VI NZ2336 (TE910) stored in time capsule condition with John Smith in Mapua.

Does anybody have any recent picture of this intriguing aircraft?

I have seen the ones on mossie.org, which are quite old now.

Member for

20 years

The publication of photographs of the Mapua Mosquito is strictly forbidden by its owner, John Smith. He allows people access and allows them to photograph it, but on the proviso that no photographs of his collection are published online or in print. I don't know whether mossie.org sought special permission to post the photos they have, but I'd like to hope that other people will respect his wishes. He asks this for his safety and his security, and because he already gets far too many enquiries from people around the world regularly as it is to cope with.

Member for

16 years 4 months

There are 3 builds rebuilds going on in NZ that I know of, Glyns & Avspecs [both of which I saw last December when in NZ] and another in Christchurch, heres a forum link with pics.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=11415

Thanks for this, DP! - I had no idea about this one! There are some incredible things going on in that part of the world. Such a shame it's on the other side of it from here!

Member for

20 years 10 months

The publication of photographs of the Mapua Mosquito is strictly forbidden by its owner, John Smith. He allows people access and allows them to photograph it, but on the proviso that no photographs of his collection are published online or in print. I don't know whether mossie.org sought special permission to post the photos they have, but I'd like to hope that other people will respect his wishes. He asks this for his safety and his security, and because he already gets far too many enquiries from people around the world regularly as it is to cope with.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't realise that this was the case. Seems a bit odd to me, but as it's his train and all that he has the right to do as he pleases with it.

I note from a recent thread on the Wings of NZ forum, that is has reportedly moved. Is it indeed the case?

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thank you for your reply. I didn't realise that this was the case. Seems a bit odd to me, but as it's his train and all that he has the right to do as he pleases with it.

I note from a recent thread on the Wings of NZ forum, that is has reportedly moved. Is it indeed the case?

Not sure about that , but the Hudson from the same collection has recently moved to near Nelson for restoration .

Member for

19 years 6 months

Following a brief search I came across numerous photos of the beast at another location. Two seperate visits in fact.

What a time capsule indeed and in very good original nick.