Helicopter Museum - Queen's Flight Wessex...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Does anyone know which HLF fund the Helicopter Museum used to purchase their former Queen's Flight Me thinks it was the National Heritage Memorial Fund, but I can't be sure?

Best Wishes

Phil Rhodes

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

The HLF is the fund - although the grant programme within the HLF normally varies based on the size of the grant being sought!

Cannot find any reference to the purchase here... http://helicoptermuseum.co.uk/20.htm which is unusual, could it have been part of the Conservation Building grant? :confused:

Was it a PRISM Fund Grant?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The National Heritage Memorial Fund was formed pre HLF and amongst it's achievements was contributing to the Lancaster for Duxford.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Is that the same QF Wessex that was at Duxford?

Member for

19 years 5 months

I clearly remember seeing a red/white/blue Wessex at Duxford...
Perhaps it was a RAE ship?

In any event, I'm surprised to read in that link that HRH didn't fly in a helicopter until 1977 considering helicopters had been assigned to the QF for quite some time.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Especially as her mum enjoyed the 'Green Parrot' Whirlwind so much!

Member for

20 years 1 month

I clearly remember seeing a red/white/blue Wessex at Duxford...
Perhaps it was a RAE ship?

In any event, I'm surprised to read in that link that HRH didn't fly in a helicopter until 1977 considering helicopters had been assigned to the QF for quite some time.

Maybe i dont have Duxford wessex serial to hand so cant tell but their website page does mention only 2 QF wessex (IHM & RAFM?).

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1214

curlyboy

Member for

16 years 7 months

The only Wessex I've seen at Dux is the HAS.1 XS863, it did used to be in a red and white scheme, which didn't look anything like QF colours.