Old Luftwaffe fields in Northern France

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi All
As usual am after words of wisdom.

Off to Northern France in October with Mrs waco and the outlaws. The main mission will be the Somme.

That said I wondered if there was anything left to see of old Luftwaffe fields in Northern France. Since I assume they were just that, fields, all traces disappeared years ago but I thought I would ask.
Cheers
Waco !

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Both the fields at Etaples (Le Touquet) and Abbeville are alive and functioning as GA airfields, in addition to which they each have excellent restaurants so are worth visiting, if only for a meal.

I have never investigated Abbeville, save for a cursory glance around to see if there were any yellow-nosed bf109s (There weren't)

There is some information here, in French, on Le Touquet and its remaining artefacts

http://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/terrains%20aviations/Le%20Touquet.htm

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm not sure whether my memory is correct, but driving south from Calais a few years ago, I remember seeing what I thought were the remains of an old airfield very close to the coast whilst stopped at a service station. Wissant springs to mind but I may be wrong.

Found this, the only photo I got. Seems to be some buildings still there.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/kev35_/wissant2.jpg

Regards,

kev35

Member for

18 years 2 months

That one's on Google just north of Saint-Inglevert

Member for

24 years 3 months

Now called St Inglevert, but in fact on the site of the Luftwaffe field known as Wissant in WW2

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

When reading "Spitfire on my tail" by Ulrich Steinhilper I was curious to see where the airfield he operated from at Coquelles might have been situated. Google Earth reveals that the Eurotunnel terminus would appear to have obliterated most of the Coquelles area....I wonder what the aircrew's thoughts would have been if they could have seen 70 years into the future.

Very helpful link via anciens-aerodromes, confirmed my suspicions about Coquelles. Fascinating.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Excellent!!!

Got something to work on now.

Thanks again

Member for

16 years 8 months

Both the fields at Etaples (Le Touquet) and Abbeville are alive and functioning as GA airfields, in addition to which they each have excellent restaurants so are worth visiting, if only for a meal.

Last time I visited Le Touquet I lunched at an even better restaurant just across the river at Etaples. It was a fish restaurant operated by the local fishermen's co-operative. You couldn't have asked for better, fresher fish cooked relatively simply to show its true favour. I seem to recollect that it was a longish walk round via the bridge. But that's ideal for working up an appetite for your meal and walking it off afterwards!

Member for

19 years

Beaumont-le-Roger

A length of perimeter track and a protective pen. Otherwise not much else to see. Or I did not know where to look :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 3 months

I remember transitting through St Omer a few years (5?) back and some buildings still there from WW2

Member for

19 years

I remember seeing an After the Battle magazine a while back where they visited such airfields. Old wooden hangers still there and revetments etc, whether they still the who knows. One at least was a jg26 field