BoB Night BBC4

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

Did anyone watch the BBC4 Battle of Britain night tonight?
Fascinating programme, which as someone not that swept-up on the event, found very informative, even the two historians battling it out was more interesting than it might have been. The ATA programme was excellent aswel (the Wellington 24hr build is on now), however the short Douglas Bader interview from 1965 was superb, without a doubt he was my childhood hero, I loved his book, Reach For The Skys is my favourite RAF film but this interview was so humbling.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

The BBC are to be congratulated on the programme which I was delighted to find kicked off with Tom Neil and Geoffrey Wellum.
Also included was a fascinating short film on the recovery of Billy Drake's Hurricane as Billy looked on and a superb documentary on the women of the ATA.
After Tom and Geoff left for dinner at the RAF Club, historians James Holland and Stephen Bungay took over to debate the Battle of Britain.

Broadcasting the show live just across from Westminster Abbey worked extremely well in my opinion and made a pleasant change from the usual 'talking head' format of similar documentaries.

A huge well done to the beeb......and those who have'nt yet read Stephen Bungays book, I urge you to do so if you want probably the best analysis of the Battle.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I wish I Sky+ it now, as I missed Geoffrey Wellum & Tom Neil at the beginning.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I'm sure its on the I Player, check the BBC website BoB season programmes page........just settling down for the BoB service on TV.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks, keep forgetting the iplayer - not quite the same though!