Abbreviation help.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

I would be grateful if someone could explain the abbreviations FRBT, FRUT. FRRS, and FRQT as shown on the attached log book entry of an air gunner at No 9 B&G School, Penrhos.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I really haven't any knowledge on this, but I'd guess that the FR stands for Firing Range, and the T stands for Target.

Moggy

Member for

18 years

I really haven't any knowledge on this, but I'd guess that the FR stands for Firing Range, and the T stands for Target.

Moggy

They were flying in Whitleys firing at a target being towed by a Battle. I think the "T" probably stands for Tow as in FR Under Tow?

Another attachment.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 2 months

FRAUT - Free astern under tail
FRTD - Free target drogue
FRBST - Free beam starboard tail
FRQT - Free gun astern
QXU - Drogue firing
QXUT - Drogue firing under tail
COP - Curve of pursuit
CCG - Cine Camera Gun

Member for

18 years

Thanks, that certainly covers some of them.

Thanks too for the link to Jim Macnaughts web site. Very instructional.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Interesting stuff David,i am sure there must be a more complete list of abbreviations somewhere,hopefully some more info will surface
Rgds Baz

Member for

17 years 6 months

Very useful. There is a superb list of abbreviation in Ken Delve's "The Source Book of the RAF" (Airlife, 1994). But despite 20 pages of RAF abbreviations, he hasn't listed any of these.

Allan

Member for

18 years

Well phowee, if that's a word.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I have not had time to look through this website yet,but the online magazine and or archive for the 'Short Bursts' air gunner assoc may have some info...
You need to scroll down to the yellow box !

http://www.airmuseum.ca/mag/0605.html