History On Auster RT497 Wanted

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

From this thread on WIX, given the number of Austerers here, I thought an answer maybe more likely. Certainly seems to have had a varied civilian life! The history seems lifted from the Auster production list here, which gives it as an AOP.V.

I'm making a query on behalf of a fellow aviation historian on another forum. He is searching for information related to a Taylorcraft Auster, RAF S/n RT497. The history of the plane's registration appears to be as follows:

RT497 G-AKSI HB-EON I-METE D-EGAT SE-AMC OY-ANV

Supposedly the unit operating that particular Auster was 38 Gp CF/316. Unit name and location remain unknown, as also confirmed information related to aircraft markings and paint during the war.

Any information related to the history of this airframe would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Orvo

I've no connection, just passing the query on. Over to you?

Original post

Member for

16 years 1 month

I have replied to this enquiry on yet another (a 3rd) Forum.

Basically RT497 served with 38 Group Communications Flight for 9 months in 1945 and later spent just over a month with 316 Squadron before suffering a minor accident in Scotland in 1946.

It certainly did have a varied civil career but it is highly unlikely that the marks I-METE were worn by this particular Auster and as far as I am aware the marks OY-ANV were not taken up. And now it appears to be in Finland.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Auster SE-AMC

Hi James,

According to the Swedish civil aircraft register, SE-AMC is still current. It was registered as SE-AMC on July 8, 1985. I checked the Danish CAA on-line register for OY-ANV, but no hits. PM me if you need owner and contact info.

Regards,

Jan