Some Spitfire advice please!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I never thought I'd be asking about Spitfires on here :) but would welcome some advice from the experts!

My knowledge of certain Spits is very limited to say the least, but I need to find out a bit about a mark I know virtually nothing about - the Mk.XVI.

To my thoroughly non-expert eyes it looks like a Mk.IX with clipped wings and a low back/bubble canopy, but I'm sure it can't be that simple!

Can anyone enlighten me further please?

Thanks,
M

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

I think it had a different engine: Merlin 266 (a Merlin 66 build in the USA by Packard).

Member for

16 years 3 months

There are far more expert people who i'm sure will reply to you in detail however in a nutshell you are correct.
The difference between a IX and a XVI is the engine. The XVI uses a US manufactured Packard Merlin.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Correct. It's basically a Packard-engined mk IX.

Member for

16 years 7 months

They didn't make it easy, did they?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Where's the fun in that? ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh Lordy! I knew this would get complicated!:)

So, are there any external visual differences between a Mk.IX and a Mk.XVI with similar 'backs' then?:confused:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Top cowling shape differed between early Mk IX and late Mk XVI, but is subtle.

Lower cowl shape also differed; early Mk IX's didnt have the airbox, late ones, and XVI's did.

Wing detail could vary - mostly in panels, and position of gun ports.

There are early and late style rudders - many Mk 9's had the Mk 5 style; Later ones and the XVI's had the pointy version.

I'm sure Mark12 will come up with some I've missed!

Member for

16 years 8 months

It always amazes me that Supermarine knew what they were building at any one time!

Member for

24 years 3 months

So no XVI with the rounded rudder then?

Moggy

Member for

16 years 7 months

It always amazes me that Supermarine knew what they were building at any one time!

Maybe they didn't and had a bucket full of luck. Their post-Spitfire line isn't exactly a rose garden....

Member for

16 years 7 months

'Recommend Paul Monforton's book on the Mk.IX/XVI if you are a serious Spitaholic.

Member for

15 years

So, are there any external visual differences between a Mk.IX and a Mk.XVI with similar 'backs' then?:confused:

No, in fact the XVI didn't exist, as a Mark no., in its own right, until August, 1944; prior to that it was known as the L.F.IX with Merlin 266, and there was a meeting, in May of that year, to discuss any necessary mods.
The "Mark XII (aka pointed) rudder" was introduced from February 7th., 1944, so XVIs should have had them, but it's not guaranteed.
The cowling lines were identical to those of the VIII, until a modification, caused by the header tank on the Packard, meant that it had to be bulged upwards; although it was designed for the IX, probably due to a need for commonality, the XVI had the same type.
Wing panels/compartments remained the same, only the contents changed. When the low-back XVI, with its fuselage fuel tank, appeared, the wing was made "E" (1x20mm + 1x.5" Browning in each wing,) and the redundant compartments were used for the compressed-air and oxygen bottles. I'm guessing that it was done to keep the CofG within limits.
Edgar

Member for

24 years 3 months

The outer wing panels on the XVI very often didnt have ejector chutes, so although they were the same basic panel, there were differences.

In my experience, no two aircraft are alike!

Bruce

Member for

20 years 10 months

Easiest way of finding out if a Packard 266 is fitted (provided you can get up on the aircraft) is to look for the inter-cooler filler cap access flap on the rear of the top cowl. If its close to the rear edge of the cowl its a RR built Merlin, if its about a foot forward its a Packard built engine - the reason being the Packard had an integral inter-cooler header tank fixed to the engine - the RR version used a seperate 'kettle' like tank fixed to a firewall mounted bracket.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Then of course you get Mk 9s that have a 266 fitted.

ML417 and Mk356 to name a couple.

So what mk number are they then? :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

I was about to say that! ;)

Though, I suppose they should be referred to as their correct variants, as these are what they were built as at the factory.... :confused:

Member for

20 years 10 months

And you get others such as PL965 that were built with a RR engine (Merlin 70), were then restored and flew with a Packard 266 for 18 years but then had the original engine over-hauled and re-installed - and started for the first time in 60-odd years - today!! :)

Member for

16 years 8 months

No, in fact the XVI didn't exist, as a Mark no., in its own right, until August, 1944; prior to that it was known as the L.F.IX...

Ah stumbled across LF.IX the other day, going to sound like a total loon but what does the L stand for?