Sywell Aviation Museum Tiger Moth Project

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Sywell Aviation Museum - Tiger Moth project - help needed!

Sywell has a very strong affinity with the Tiger Moth, as many were used by Brooklands Aviation pre and post War and 6 EFTS had over 400 on strength at the airfield during the conflict. Well known Tiger Moth restorer Ian Castle, based on site, has very kindly agreed to construct a replica Tiger Moth cockpit from wood (ie essentially a Queen Bee) to allow our younger visitors to enjoy a cockpit experience. The Museum is seeking non-airworthy parts to complete the internal fit - viz two each: windscreens, sticks, throttles, instrument panels, instruments, cushions, seats and time expired harnesses. Ideally we would wish the cockpit to be visually as complete as possible.

The Museum is a non-profit making Charitable Trust and does not charge for entry, relying on donations to survive. If you can help...
Please contact - [email]Sywellaviationmuseum@gmail.com[/email] Ben Brown 07968061708

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Fantastic project. I'll donate you a manual! :diablo:

Member for

17 years 6 months

More seriously. On (30s worth) of reflection.

Are there not some slightly bent steel tube airframe bits around that might still form the basis of a replica that more closely follows the original Tiger Moth fuselage construction?

It may be more robust in the long term too?

Member for

19 years

TT, check your emails.

L & S, if its the bent ones in the workshop that came from Rhinebeck they are repairable!!!!!:diablo:

Member for

16 years 11 months

G'day all

Be a such a shame if servicable Tiger parts end up in a Museum reproduction. With the number of Tiger Moth "back to flying" projects underway, all servicable parts are needed. Windscreen frames are a known "short - almost impossible to obtain" item.

Want to see a Tiger Moth - go to airfield where vintage aeroplanes fly.

cheers

Member for

17 years 6 months

G'day all

Want to see a Tiger Moth - go to airfield where vintage aeroplanes fly.

cheers

Errr. Like Sywell!

Although I can see a point in a ground replica allowing a bit more close public access than most owners would normally dare.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

Indeed, and Ben has asked for non-airworthy parts for the project.

The educational value of such an exhibit is high - and as mentionedabove, you dont want hundreds of spotty kids climbing all over the real thing do you?

Member for

13 years 6 months

Would that make it a puss moth? ( sorry!)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Would that make it a puss moth? ( sorry!)

I think after some of the local 'yoof' have had a go, it would be more like a Lop-eared Moth......

....I'll get me coat! :diablo:

Member for

20 years

Oh lordy!

Box moth surely?

:)

Member for

19 years 2 months

I think that this is a very worthwhile project. There are so many museums where you can see but not touch. Anything that enables young people to get in a "real" plane rather than an airliner is to be welcomed.