Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

69 years ago today..
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/pearl_harbor_69_years_ago_toda.html

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

It dosen't matter how often you see those dramatic pictures they still have the same effect as the first time.
Interesting to see that some things don't change, the smilling/laughing reporters rushing out of a briefing says it all about their priorities.

Member for

14 years 9 months

Thank you for sharing those.;)

I have copied some of them to show to my Grandfather a ww2 Navy gunner who has many memories of the war from the British side of things in the North Atlantic.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Interesting to see that some things don't change, the smilling/laughing reporters rushing out of a briefing says it all about their priorities.

Yes, it does.

For 2 years, we had watched from the sidelines as Germany raped and ravaged Europe, killing mass numbers of our friends and relatives... but Congress said we had to be neutral.

For 10 years, we had watched as Japan pushed through Manchuria and north China, slaughtering tens or hundreds of thousands of Chinese civilians... but Congress said we had to be neutral.

At last, Congress could no longer stand in our way... we were free to act, to come to the aid of our friends and relatives... to aid and protect the helpless Chinese.

We could finally do something to save the world from the madness it had fallen into.

Yes... many of us WERE happy!

I have spoken to my uncles on both sides of the family, who served in the war... and with both sets of grandparents, who watched their sons go off to war... and that was exactly how they described their feelings that day.

My mother's father felt that way even though he had served (and been wounded) in France in WW1.

He had been angry with the US government for again sitting by while Germany ravaged France, and was proud to see his sons going off to do what he had done 24 years earlier.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I would love to believe that is the reason that those journos are reacting that way, but I suspect it's the payroll and taste for the story

Member for

24 years 3 months

So many evocative photos, each with so much to say. The collection of P40 noses lying uselessly on the tarmac, I found particularly powerful. Thanks for the thread.

Member for

15 years 6 months

The USS Arizona memorial brought back some memories- managed to visit it when staging through- a very quiet and slightly spooky place.

Cheers
Mad Jock

Member for

19 years 6 months

I would love to believe that is the reason that those journos are reacting that way, but I suspect it's the payroll and taste for the story

*A journo speaks* Agree, but leave out the payroll bit, they get paid the same anyway. But, as Bager says, many US papers had been calling for intervention for months, so this is probably that 'YES! Let's go get 'em!' moment for them. Remember the mass opinion reported in 1914 was all for going to war.