Spitfires to Malta Query

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

In the latest issue of "Military Aircraft Monthly International" there is an excellent article by Dr Alfred Price about the various operations to supply Malta with Spitfires in 1942,two of which involved the "USS Wasp."

However Dr Price mentions that the Wasp docked at Port Glasgow and that the Spitfires were transported from Glasgow to Port Glasgow (a distance of 20 miles) by Queen Mary transporters. I don't believe this is correct. My understanding is that the Spitfires were flown to the old Renfrew Airport (which was Glasgow Airport until 1966) and they were then taken a short distance from there to the nearest docks on the River Clyde where Wasp was berthed. I recall a "Flypast" article in the 90s which mentioned that some at least of the Spitfires were actually floated down the River Cart on lighters or rafts and then taken to the "Wasp". Can anyone confirm these details for me?

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

Colin, there seems to be no real answer to this. However, I'm just as doubtful as you are that they could have been taken the Wasp in trailers; this means they had to be dismantled.

I think this pic says it all...note the wingtips removed, probably to enable the Spits to be towed quite a long way, maybe even through built up areas

Could the Spits have been carried on QM trailers in such a state? Doubtful.

RJC

Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

As I recall, the wingtips were removed to save space on the carrier - they were stowed inside the cockpit.

Member for

18 years 3 months

According to the article "Each fighter's wingtips had been removed and placed in the cockpit, to allow the Spitfires to be taken by 'Queen Mary' transporters through the narrow streets of Glasgow leading to the quayside."

Not for the first time has the good doctor stated conjecture as fact and it may well be that the wingtips were removed to facilitate storage in the carrier, they were still in the cockpit when the Spitfires were loaded. Like many people he probably thinks that Port Glasgow is in Glasgow.

There is a photograph of BR226 being loaded, underneath is a Queen Mary trailer. There is also a photograph of BP845 on a barge (tied to the quayside) in Port Glasgow. So it appears that both transport methods were used. Interestingly, BP845 still has its wingtips attached. Perhaps the doctor is correct and they were removed to transport the Spitfires through the narrow streets of Port Glasgow, not Glasgow. Or the wingtips may have been removed after arrival at the docks and prior to being loaded.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Don't think the removal of the wingtips had anything to do with storage. See attached, all Spits have the wingtips on inside the hangar, and there's lots of space to manoeuvre.

Variety of finishes is rather interesting. The fact that they're still in camo means that they are still on their way to Gib, once they left there, top surfaces were roughly painted in a temporary blue colour; pics available if interested.

RJC

Attachments

Member for

19 years 7 months

Spitfires to Malta - King George V Dock

Sorry for being late but maybe the following can add to the saga.
Twelve Spitfires were off loaded from Wasp when it was discovered the drop tanks were faulty. The US Navy then repaired the faulty tanks on the Spitfires which were aboard the ship. In Operation Bowery the Spits flew off to Malta together with a batch from Eagle. Maybe Eagle's Spitfires were those which were off loaded from Wasp.
The distance between Renfrew Airport was not all that long. But just as you come to the dock the road narrows considerably with trees and hedges on either side, also the dock gate was very narrow and that is probably why the wingtips were taken off.
One Spitfire was lost on take off from Hornet and another lost it's tank and landed on Wasp. This machine flew off the next day with a batch of either Swordfish or Albacore. Certainly the machines were delivered to King George V Dock by Queen Mary trailer and those at James Watt dock by lighter. The distance between Glasgow and Greenock is substantial and one needs to consult a map to see the distances. There is no way any aircraft was taken through the streets of Glasgow as indicated by the good doctor.