Spitfire Society Contact Details

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I´ve got a strange request tonight. Ever since I got my hands on Spitfire The History over twenty years ago, I have had a hunger for more info about a letter apparently written to the factory in the autumn of 1939 requesting a second hand Spitfire for Iceland "for instructional purposes"!! I did a half hearted search back then for the letter, but came up empty handed. My interest was rekindled last winter when (I think) the January issue of Aeroplane had a readers letter (from someone high up in the Spitfire Society) stating that such a request was indeed made to the factory.

I´ve since tried to e-mail the Society via their website links for Spitfire Historical Research and have come up with no reply, and I´ve waited 8 months now. Is there any other way I can get a reply?

On another tangent, where else would it be possible to get a copy of that letter? Kew? And if so, under what reference?

Lots of questions, but NO answers! Can someone help a stupid Icelander?

Original post

Member for

20 years

Hi Galdri

You could ask Mark 12. I believe that he knows some of the Trustees of the Spitfire Society.:rolleyes: