WW2 Raf Parachute

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

I just acquired a rare Irvin seat type WW2 era parachute for my expanding flight gear collection.

http://heritageflightgear.blogspot.com/2011/02/ww2-raaf-seat-parachute-acquired.html

Phil

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Now I have to admit I know nothing about what the RAAF were using at that time but there are a few things that just don't look right for this to be dated 1938. The label is not the same style as I have seen on other packs of that era and the buckles on the harness look very post war to me. Sure it doesn't actually say 1958?

Anne

Member for

17 years 7 months

Those black buckles look 1960's to me - 100% not WW2

Member for

13 years 7 months

Now I have to admit I know nothing about what the RAAF were using at that time but there are a few things that just don't look right for this to be dated 1938. The label is not the same style as I have seen on other packs of that era and the buckles on the harness look very post war to me. Sure it doesn't actually say 1958?

Anne

I contacted the seller of this on evilbay and mentioned due to several inconsistances it was certainly not second world war,as advertised.
I take it the listing was not altered,last time i looked before the listing ended it was past the £400 mark :eek:

Member for

18 years 2 months

As a comparison, here is a snap of a pack dated 1955, which is more in keeping with the WW2 era ones I have seen around. Note the difference in the harness colouration and the various buckles.

All that said, it is still a very nice parachute pack you have picked up, and should be rightly regarded as a good addition to your collection.

Jon

Member for

15 years 4 months

WW2 Parachute

Hi

The set up is definitely post war.The metalwork on post war harnesses stayed the same as wartime until the black quick release sliders were introduced(in the sixties i believe).What you have to remember is that the packs are interchangeable from the harness so unless all the serial numbers match(both pack and harness)there is no guarantee that they started life together.

I have added a picture of a wartime setup.

If the buyer looks at one of the cross straps on the back of the harness,on the inside of the strap will be a label with the date(unless it`s been removed or it has a tear in it right where the date is!)

I do know of at least one dealer who stamps these post war harnesses up with ww2 dates.