Secret Army

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

I have been lucky to be loaned the DVD sets of the first and second series of the 1970's TV series "Secret Army". It's utterly brilliant, about the Belgian-run lifeline that got downed airman back to Britain from all over Europe. It has a lot of RAF related stories, and most are based on real events apparently. As well as the brave Belgians risking their lives to get the airmen safely to Spain, there are the Germans, Gestapo officer Kessler and Luftwaffe officer Brandt, trying to break the lifeline and capture the Belgian heroes as well as the airmen.

This is the series which the comedy Allo Allo wonderfully spoofed, but seeing the real series for the first time I am finding it to be one of the best dramas I've seen. So scary, tense and wonderfully scripted and acted. A number of familiar faces pop up among the guest cast too. Even Richard Marner as a goodie, whereas in Allo Allo he played the German Colonel Von Strohm.

Anyway, the thing is, some very interesting warbirds appear in the series. I am so far up to Series Two, Episode Seven (so please don't give any plot away after this if you've watched it!!) but I have noted two appearances by a Lysander, one of a Dakota, and in Series 2, Episode 7, an appearance by B-17 'Sally B'. As well as usuing the aircraft itself they have taken footage from the 1944 film The Memphis Belle and used it - which is ironic as later Sally B would be in the remake of that film.

I heartily recommend this series, which is on BBC DVD release.

I also want to re-iterate, please don't give away the plot of future episodes for me and others with spoilers.

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

............. please don't give away the plot of future episodes for me and others with spoilers.

The Allies win. ooops, sorry :diablo:

Roger Smith.

Member for

14 years 6 months

One of my favourite series from that era. Well written, well acted and well produced. From the same period I am still enjoying Colditz, which broadcast 28 episodes last year on Yesterday and which I am still working my way through. If you make allowances for 70s production values, the storylines, writing and acting come through as strongly as I remember from the first showing. And Bernard Hepton was in both!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Yes both Secret Army and Colditz were created and produced by the same man Gerard Glaister, and also Christopher Neame was in both too.

Member for

14 years 6 months

And do you remember Moonstrke in the 60s - one of his first productions. He flew Blenheims in the war and used some of his experiences to create the anthologies for the series.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's a cracking series. I saw the actress playing Monique in a West End production of Cats in the role of Grizabella. I think she had a better voice than Elaine Page. In an interview I saw by Jan Francis recently, she admitted to being 'p****d' off when Allo Allo was first broadcast.

Wish Me luck, about the agents of the SOE is another shown recently on Yesterday and well worth watching if you get the opportunity.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 11 months

Love Secret Army :) watched it with my farther. I cant remember who told me but i thought the lizze used was the Strathallen collections one.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Avro Lancaster "City of Lincoln" also makes an appearance in an episode.

Member for

15 years

I have enjoyed watching both Screcret Army and Colditz again over the last few months. I was in school when they were first shown and they are juat as good, if not better than I remember them. One of my treats was to be allowed to stay up late one night a week to watch Colditz when I was about seven or eight years old. Colditz was the show to watch and that we school boys talked about in the playground for days after it had been on.
Did anyone have the board game that came out at the same time? My friend did but we found it much too complicated to play and spent most of the time arguing because no-one would be the Germans

Member for

17 years 6 months

Did anyone have the board game that came out at the same time?

Have it.....I’ve still got my Colditz game! :D

Secret Army, the Colditz series, they take me right back, the music mainly; I’ve just been watching the first episode of 'Survivors' on YouTube.....now that was frightening TV when you were a kid! :eek:

Member for

15 years 1 month

I could be wrong ,but I believe the Lysander was flown by Tony Bianchi.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Love Secret Army :) watched it with my farther. I cant remember who told me but i thought the lizze used was the Strathallen collections one.

It wasn't the Strathallan Lysander that was used. The Lysander featured was one based at Booker in the 70s. The Strathallan Lysander's post restoration flight took place after "Secret Army" filming was concluded.

Colin

Member for

15 years 5 months

Secret Army

I'd like to see 'Kessler' on dvd, the six-part sequel to 'Secret Army'. It was repeated on one of the satellite channels but I missed it.

'Following the progress of former SS Sturmbannführer Ludwig Kessler, now living under the alias of industrialist Manfred Dorf, and trying to avoid being discovered as a war criminal. Ranged against him are West German intelligence operative Richard Bauer (Alan Dobie) and young Israeli vigilante Mical Rak (Nitza Saul). Bauer and Rak's quest for justice moves from Europe to Paraguay, where other notorious real-life war criminals, Martin Bormann and Josef Mengele are featured.'

Member for

14 years 6 months

On Amazon series on DVD new from £37.00.

You forgot to mention Clifford Rose as Kessler, a study of evil, - a fine and underrated actor who spent more time in the theatre than TV but has nevertheless been seen in a wide range of roles in many productions and at 80+ is still working.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Anyone remember the Secret Army display at Hendon in the late 1970s? I'm sure it had a mock-up of a Lancaster and also the bar. I also seem to remember a RR Vulture engine on display too

Member for

20 years 8 months

And do you remember Moonstrke in the 60s - one of his first productions. He flew Blenheims in the war and used some of his experiences to create the anthologies for the series.
Yes I remember all three and to my mind they were better produced and acted than many later efforts.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I would tend to agree. Modern production is slicker, but whether or not it has the same quality and depth is another question.