Last Remaining Short Belfast

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does anyone know if the sole surviving Belfast will make it into preservation somewhere once her flying career is over or will she be reduced to pots and pans and razor blades like so many of her sisters??

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Don't panic! There's already one preserved (inside) at RAF Cosford! :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Isn't there another one preserved at the RAF Museum, Cosford ?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Does anyone know if the sole surviving Belfast will make it into preservation somewhere once her flying career is over or will she be reduced to pots and pans and razor blades like so many of her sisters??

In the meantime Peter you will have to make do with the other remaining Belfast XR371 which is safely under cover in the Cold War Hangar at Cosford.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Short-SC-5-Belfast/1410515/L/&sid=3a11d172a220618055eb3a7899f809f1

Jon

Member for

17 years 6 months

Can anybody actually see my post.....or am I the victim of an elaborate April Fool’s joke? :confused:

Member for

16 years 7 months

:pWho said that?!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Isn't there's one at Cosford?

:)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Ha, bloody, ha! :rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 3 months

I saw one of these "Belfast" aircraft in a museum somewhere between Birmingham and Telford as I recall.........

- Mike

Member for

24 years 2 months

you know what.. I forgot all about the one at Cosford!! Thanks chaps!

Member for

18 years 2 months

... surviving Belfast will make it into preservation somewhere once her flying career is over ...

Driffield? :confused:

Member for

14 years 2 months

There is a funny echo on here somewhere but did'nt someone say there used to be one at Cosford?

Member for

16 years 7 months

I'm sure that, this morning, I read somewhere that in an endeavour to prolong its commercial viability, it is proposed to do a 'cut and shut' job on it, in order to insert a new centre section. The piece mentioned that as then it will be a very different aereoplane, it's planned to rename it the Long Belfast. However if that plan doesn't come to fruition, it will be scrapped but, apparently, the parts will be used in the medical industry to produce padded belts to support hernias - and they'll be called the Belfast Truss. Now what's the date today.............?

Member for

19 years

........ it is proposed to do a 'cut and shut' job on it, in order to insert a new centre section..............?

I heard that there were fears it wouldn't be able to climb and have to be renamed the Belfast Sink

Roger Smith:D

Member for

14 years 2 months

Where did all the Belfast roofs in Hangars come from ?. I thought they where made before Shorts got the idea ?:confused::diablo:

Member for

19 years 9 months

Without mentioning which - "one" was offered to me for preservation purposes last year, but it was a case of too big, too far away and of no relevence or significance of the type in Australia and I dont know of, or imagine there will be any likely preservation outcome for "one" in Australia.

regards

Mark Pilkington

Member for

17 years 6 months

Presumably not the one at RAF Cosford! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness does anybody care if this last airworthy Belfast is preserved or not? Because if you do, now is the time to act; let’s not get to the point where the aircraft in grounded and under threat of scrapping before we decide something should be done. If it has indeed been ‘offered’ for preservation by the current operators (and wasn’t it up for sale recently?) why not make an approach and see how much it would actually cost to have it flown to the final destination (rather than dismantled and roaded)?

If you care, now is the time to act! ;)

Member for

14 years 2 months

If anyone was stuck for hangarage it could serve two roles !!!

Member for

17 years 1 month

In all seriousness does anybody care if this last airworthy Belfast is preserved or not?

I would hope so. But then it isn't a Spitfire, so I imagine that the vast majority of enthusiasts will be completely disinterested, sadly. It's certainly good that one Belfast is safely secured in the Cold War Museum but from a selfish visitor's point of view, it's not much fun trying to appreciate the magnificent Belfast when it is crammed into a corner and the interior is made into a cinema. However, it is under cover and that has to be a good thing.

It would be tragic if the last active example was simply scrapped, but few could have the resources to save it. On the other hand, if it can be flown to its final resting place, then surely there ought to be quite a few places where the aircraft could be accommodated? East Midlands? Manchester? Duxford?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Not sure how it would fit into the collecting policy of the Imperial 'War' Museum, but i for one would definately welcome this leviathan to Duxford.

And going by their past experiences such as the Britannia, it stands a good chance of still being around in 35 years time.