Aviation in Southend launched

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Aviation in Southend is a major new feature on the Southend Timeline website that I am now running.

The feature includes the History of the Southend Historic Aircraft Museum and its aircraft, I admit there are not many photos at present thats because I dont have many in my collection.

There is also a history of Airships over Southend, and you can also read a comprenhesive history of Southend Airport and read all about its airshows and fly ins.

There is a seprate section detailing the history of the free seafront airshows as well.

visit;

www.southendtimeline.com

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

I have had a good long read at your site. Very interesting. I never made it to Southend when the Museum was there but read all about it. Hopefully over time people will contribute photographs of the exhibits that you can add.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Cheers, the Air raids section should be on line in the next few weeks, the Fly Pasts section is currently in the process of being put together, having a few headaches with the video editing. Some of the footage is on a very knackerd VHS cassette there is a crease running more or less the length of the tape so the picture is very poor and keeps jumping, whilst it "plays" through the player on the computer it will not work when run through the editing software.

Member for

15 years

Old Fart, what a great idea. It's been years since I lived near 'Sarfend' and used it a a weekend play ground. As a youngster I rode in the carnival, something not mentioned on your site, and still remember the summer Lights. So much better than Blackpool. Well, they used to be. Sadly it's all gone now.
Keep the dream alive mate, all of it not just the Aviation at Southend

Attachments

Member for

14 years 8 months

Me too...!

Lived in Southend from '54 to '68 while dad flew with Air Charter and others...
well remember playing in the harvards and prentices, watching the Carvair drone around on endless test flights, the Accountant, the Ekco anson, the blue joy-flight prentice with orange canopy.....
They were great days, and agreed, Southend was a wonderful place to grow up in the fifties and sixties..

Member for

18 years 5 months

I too remember the halcyon days at Southend. Just add a few more personal memories....

The old flying club hangar when it was used as one
Bernard Collins flying around in his Aeronca G-AEFT
Laddie Marmol arriving in his EP9 G-AOFU on a regular basis
The arrival of the first Ambassador (BKS) and Britannia (Air Charter)
The arrival of the Queen's flight Vikings for Tradair
The Queen Mother arriving in a Heron
Jindiviks being prepared for shipment to Australia in an Air Charter DC4
The regular visits of Fred Olsen and Transavia C46's
The joyflight Autocar G-AMFP
To name just a few.....

Also during the early sixties the Southend - Ostend route was the busiest international air route in the world in terms of movements!

However one must not forget to Pou-de-Ciel (G-ADXS) hanging up in Storey's garage.

Also the regular types that flew over such as the RCAF Freighters en route to Langar and USAF C124's and C133's en route to Mildenhall.

Indeed, those were the days!

Member for

18 years 2 months

I beleive that one of the Anson photos in the Collecting Aeroplanes Album here was taken at Southend - PM me if you'd like a copy for the site; there might also be a couple of other photos that I've seen from there as well! ;)

Member for

16 years 6 months

The Anson in the 1st photo in the collecting aeroplanes gallery is G-ALIH, the original Ecko Anson so it is possible that the photo was taken at Southend. When collected for Newark she had been sitting on the dump for a while after being replaced by G-AGPG.
After she was destroyed in an attack by vandals the Newark replacement G-AVVO/VL348 also came from Southend as at that time the Southend museum was in danger of being overrun by Ansons - at one point they had acquired 3 of them!

Member for

13 years 11 months

Nice work on the website, very interesting. Keep up the good work. I saw the 2008 Airship, has anybody been able to find out what it was up to? where did it come from?