Aviation enthusiasts help to rail ones

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

Reading the May 11 edition of Railway Heritage magazine I noticed an article about a railway sign that was recently for sale. It read;

Pedestrians must use the bridge to cross the line. Except When accompanying an aircraft over the crossing."

The article suggests RAF Cosford or the Bristol area (I think they mean Filton by that) as possible locations. Cosford I feel is out as the railway is elevated relative to the airfield / camp so why would there be a level crossing? Filton still has a taxiway across a rail line but was there ever a footbridge? I see from my map of RAF Henlow that there was a footbridge but no obvious aircraft crossing point. As with Henlow some airfields / factories would have extensive rail systems so its not just mainline rail that should be considered. The problem is that whilst airfields with railways on the same level are not uncommon, bridges on airfields are.
So are there any combined Plane/Train spotters out there with a better idea where the sign came from?

Original post

Member for

13 years 3 months

I saw that in Heritage Railway too and wondered about it. Perhaps this is on a taxi way on the periphery of an airfield? Or perhaps from a factory to an airfield during the war?

Richard

Member for

14 years 5 months

There was a GWR branch line which ran from Oxford to Fairford and passed close to Brize Norton,I seem to remember this line infringed on an airfield but I can't remember which.I would suggest a footbridge would only cross a taxiway which catered for fairly small aircraft,ie fighters/trainers not bombers or transports.
Colin.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Aircraft crossing Railways

I may be way off the track here, but i seem to remember seeing years ago in Aircraft Illustrated pictures of a Shack crossing a rail line on the runway at a base in Ireland, maybe there?

Member for

17 years 8 months

I may be way off the track here, but i seem to remember seeing years ago in Aircraft Illustrated pictures of a Shack crossing a rail line on the runway at a base in Ireland, maybe there?

...this one from Ballykelly?
http://www.nrf37.co.uk/Shack/

Here is an article about 11 railway-runway crossings
RAILWAYS CROSSING RUNWAYS: A WORLD-WIDE UPDATE...
http://carendt_backup.gully.org/scrapbook/page93a/index.html

Member for

16 years 6 months

Perhaps an aircraft factory or repair depot separated from the nearest airfield by a railway.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Sign for use the footbridge

Perhaps an aircraft factory or repair depot separated from the nearest airfield by a railway.

Well as someone mention before Filton did and does still have a level crossing though wouldn't have thought that a footbridge would ever have been there? looking at the map on the wheresthepath website http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Hope this link works if you access it late in the day it can only give limited views as only so many views are allowed each 24 hours.

On thinking about it does not Westlands have what was the Southern Railway running longside the works? or as someone else said a main line. Odds are its near a station?
Other than that, I wonder if it was a station near an aeroplane works runway? but does it have to be here in the UK? As the if the sign was the property of the railway, then would not the railways company be on it depending of course the age of the sign.
Oh an just in passing We say "Loco spotting" wasn't trainspotting something to do with a film? Hope you will take this in good part.

Member for

13 years 3 months

I really can't see this being a runway/railway crossing. Who would be walking down the runway - with or without an aircraft, where would the bridge be, where would you put the sign?

To me it is far more likely to be a hangar the wrong side of the tracks, or as SMS88 suggests a factory or repair depot

Richard

Is 'aircraft' instead of 'aeroplane' significant?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Wasn't either Portsmouth or Hamble factory and the airfield site seperated by a railway track with a footbridge?

I would agree with above that a factory site or even an RAF ASU airfield with dispersed sites seems favourite, some of these had lines very close by and some (such as St Athan) on the station itself.

Member for

13 years 3 months

On reflection, it may never have been near an airfield at all. It could be a railway within the perimeter of a factory making aeroplanes

Richard

Member for

16 years 6 months

I haven't got a clue about a location for the sign but it does appear that some have got their wores crossed and got the idea that the bridge mentioned was built across a taxiway. If you read the sign again it is clear that all pedestrians must use the footbridge to cross the railway unless they are accompanying an aircraft across the crossing.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Wasn't either Portsmouth or Hamble factory and the airfield site seperated by a railway track with a footbridge?

I would agree with above that a factory site or even an RAF ASU airfield with dispersed sites seems favourite, some of these had lines very close by and some (such as St Athan) on the station itself.

Looking at an old map from Hamble - it might be where I put in the red circle with the question mark....
http://www.doghousecrafts.co.uk/handdaf/ham/hammap.jpg

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

How about Sealand? The railway ran between South Camp and West Camp and there was an aircraft crossing point, but some way from the bridge. West camp was sold off in the sixties.

Member for

17 years 8 months

How about Sealand? The railway ran between South Camp and West Camp and there was an aircraft crossing point, but some way from the bridge. West camp was sold off in the sixties.

Some interesting stuff about Sealand and the railways - but not a solution regarding the first post....
(you have to scroll down at each link)

The Sealand story
http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1103b.htm

Sealand narrow gauge mystery
http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1102d.htm

Sealand
http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/ten.html

Member for

17 years 8 months

A 1945 GE photo: RAF Sealand (detail)

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

Oh an just in passing We say "Loco spotting" wasn't trainspotting something to do with a film? Hope you will take this in good part.

Surely it is Ferro-Equinology? (study of the Iron Horse?)

Member for

20 years 6 months

How about RAF Leuchars? I seem to remember railway lines on camp there whilst on Air Cadet summer camp in the mid nineties.

Martin

Member for

16 years 3 months

I know when I started this thread I dismissed Henlow as a possible location, but below is a portion of the Henlow site plan with the airfield and the pickle factory (Bldg 194) on the right and the six (Bellman?) hangars Bldgs 528 - 533 on the left on the otherside of the railway. Its not shown but I cannot imagine that there wasn't some form of vehicle / aircraft crossing giving the six hangars access to the airfield. The pedestrian bridge for those not accompanying aircraft can also been seen.
[ATTACH]194495[/ATTACH]
As an aside, what other aviation connection does that stretch of railway have?

Member for

14 years 5 months

I think Henlow could be the right answer to this question.There was a Midland Railway branch line from Hitchin to Bedford and in 1904 there was a Henlow station,on a 1947 map the station had become Henlow Camp on a LMS branch line which would become British Railways that year I think.The track of this line can still be seen near Old Warden,bridges,embankments and the buildings of Southill still being in situ.
Colin.
This line was the original through route into London for the Midland Railway until they were evicted from Kings Cross by the Great Northern in about 1869,forcing them to build Bedford to St.Pancras.This line also had a Station and a workmens halt at Cardington.After closure it was also used for the railway scenes in Those Magnificient Men and their Flying Machines.It closed to freight in 1969.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Henlow had an extensive standard and narrow gauge system around the factory part of the site, some of which can still be seen.

Any takers for the other aviation link with the LMS line?