Britannia Emergency Landing Manston 21/4/67

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 1 month

One of our new neighbours was Senior Cabin Attendant on G-ANCG when it made an emergency landing at Manston, 44years ago on April 21st. Its Starboard undercarriage had refused to retract or extend or in fact do anything after departure from Heathrow.
They were bound, under special charter, for Woomera, South Australia. She receved many accolades from passengers for handling the cabin in the 8 hours it took to burn off fuel for the landing.
These are most of the photos that have survived the tides of time.

Mo

Original post

Member for

21 years

The Manston History Museum has a display including the board recording the emergency landings made there on the 'foam carpet'
http://www.rafmanston.co.uk/
mmitch.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Wow, pics I have never seen !

I was on duty in Eagle Ops that day, not a pleasant time.

Many many thanks for posting them.

There was a front page pic in the (Daily Express?) the next day, a long lens job showing her head on just settling onto the foam and the prop tips bending.

My copy "disappeared" over time and I've never been able to replace it, these pics will keep the memory going

Best Wishes
Dave Cunnington

Edit : do you have any more, or even higher res of these ......dcunn(at)btinternet.com

Member for

18 years 2 months

There was a front page pic in the (Daily Express?) the next day, a long lens job showing her head on just settling onto the foam and the prop tips bending.

My copy "disappeared" over time and I've never been able to replace it, these pics will keep the memory going

Was this the picture? -

http://britisheagle.net/pictures/G-ANCG%20crash%202.jpg

Also if you were ops you might recognise the voice on the youtube link of the crash - chap called Phil Kelly who I believe was a flight engineer with Eagle.

Jon

Member for

19 years 2 months

Jon, thanks for that but no, the one I recall was virtually nose on and much more grainy. However, this one is pretty well caught I think.

I was in Ops with Eagle Heathrow and moved to Ops at Speke - I really must get back to you again, and pay homage once more to CF, last time I visited she had barely arrived home.

Rgds
DC

Member for

15 years 1 month

DxB Driver
I did download that video for the lass last week and that started the nostalgia.

Jon H
You were correct with the photo. Jan kept the front page of the Express 21/7/67. There was another on the page. Overhead view of the pancake - so to say! Very good shot as well.

Mo

Member for

18 years 3 months

The Hastings fuselage that you see is in the foreground in the film clip is probably TG623 a MET1 that was sent there in 1967 for use by the Fire Training School.

Richard

Member for

12 years 7 months

Britannia Emergency Landing Manston 21/4/67

Hi Mo I am new to this group - I have joined because of this thread. I am very interested as I am certain that my father was a passenger on the flight. I remember that he was on route to Woomera in Australia together with other aerospace engineers going to Woomera Launch Site to conduct a rocket test.
I do recall the stories he told us of the situation in the cabin - describing the situation as 'tense' and saying that because there were so many aerospace engineers on board they had worked out what was going on and the various options (or lack of them) pretty quickly.
I have a couple of questions: the youtube video says the flight was to Kuwaite which is a bit confusing? and the date on the video is 20 April '67 but you mention 21 July '67 as the date of the photo in The Express?
Any other insights and or photos would be gratefully received. Many thanks for sharing the details of this incident.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Radiostargazer,
I was wrong with the date - it was the 20th of April not the 21st, but definitely April.
Kuwait is mentioned on the Video as that is the forst refuelling pont that Eagle used on the "Kangaroo Route".
There is not much more I can say, I did post it for a neighbour who was the Senior Flight Attendant that day. I have passed her recollections on to the British Eagle Archivist. The cabin crew were highly commended for their actions by various authorities.
Mo

Member for

3 years 9 months

My grandfather was on this flight, I’m looking for news footage from that day. I’d love to find more information.