Fairey Gannet XL500

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Great photos James, especially the colour cockpit piccies :).

Member for

16 years 7 months

The intention is to restore her to 849B squadron colours when she is ready. With Prince Charles a patron of the aircraft excitement on realistically seeing the aircraft flying again is building.

I'm away from my sources at the mo, but isn't XL500 the Gannet that Charles flew in during a handful of AEW sorties? It wore the red dragon symbol on the tail ISTR. I'm glad you have his high profile backing of this great project.

Slight tangent this is XL482 leaving Culdrose for its 5,200 mile flight to Southern Texas.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/pagen/Fairey%20Gannet/XL482.jpg

Member for

20 years 2 months

Lovely pics James.

I only saw XL482 fly once before it departed to the US.

However, XL500 was up on almost a daily basis from CU - I never tired from hearing its distinct sound over Helston.

Like many of the other forumites who posted on this thread, I too would love to see XL500 fly again and wish the team the very best of luck.

NickB

PS - James - I caught up with my friends Dad at the w/e who used to work in the paint shop at CU in the 70's. Very interesting chat about Dayglo paint, but not sure I dare post what he had to say!!!! ;-)

Member for

17 years 5 months

Prince Charles

Pageno1

Prince Charles had a one hour thirty minute sortie in XL500 from RNAS Yeovilton, on October 18th 1972. That was his one and only flight in a Gannet AEW-3. This was the reason why he agreed to become Patron of the Gannet AEW-3 project.

He did have a flight in a Gannet T-5 (XG889) on the same day, which he landed from the centre cockpit. The pilot on both flights was Lt Cdr Tim Goetz.

Freebird :dev2:

Member for

19 years 3 months

What's the latest on XL500?

Member for

9 years 11 months

Sorry everyone for the delay in updating progress on XL500. last week we did a feature on the aircraft on ITV Wales which you can see on the 849 facebook page. The wings are on and all mechanically connected, All the flying controls are on and connected. all the electrics are being installed in to the cockpit and hopefully soon we will be powering up the electrics to be able to start functionals on all the systems. The props are away at Deltair for overhaul but i think they are having problems getting some overhaul tools. We have all the removal / refit tools but obviously overhaul is a bit more in depth. Dowty were the last company to have these when Deltair overhauled the props for XL502, since then they have been mislaid. Engines are all in and connected and we will keep them inhibited until such time we are ready to fire them up. Progress is going great at present and we are expecting a visit from members of 849 when they have their reunion at Haverford West in April. KeithM3 flickr page has some progress pictures.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thank you for the update Nad. Although I'm not keen to force your hand, is there a possibility that 2015 could be the year that 500 gets to fly? I have a real soft spot for the Gannet, the AEW3 in particular.

Member for

9 years 11 months

We are really hoping to get XL500 flying in 2015. I will try and keep you posted or you can go to Horizon Aircraft Services website where XL500 has a section of its own.

Member for

9 years 11 months

This may be a longshot but we are delayed in putting the cockpit back together due to an elevator trim cable which runs the whole length of the aircraft. We are having trouble tracking down any one that can supply 4BA turnbuckles (swaged on to cable) and barrels. I think that we will have to manufacture this as i cannot find anywhere that can supply the made cable. Just in case here is the part number. DQ/71H/1113 REF NO 6085.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Whilst I think the AEW variant looks ugly I would love to see any variant flying again. More important for me would be the chance to hear their unusual sound once more. The wing fold system on them always makes me think of some strange avian beast.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Would be great to see it fly with that newly restored Alize!

Member for

20 years 8 months

It would as the Alize was designed to fulfill the same role about the same time.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Good luck with your efforts Nad. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Gannet back in the air again. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing (and hearing) her many years ago and it will be great to hear those Mambas buzzing again :)

www.aeroplaneicons.com

Member for

24 years 2 months

nad,

Have you tried Bruntons of Musselburgh, or Aero Vintage for your cable? Given the appropriate dimensions, they should be able to manufacture one.

Bruce

Member for

9 years 11 months

Just a quick update on the aircraft. yesterday was a big milestone with electrical power being applied to the aircraft and there were no burning smells and three greens showing on the undercarriage. Today was another big jump in progress with hydraulic power being applied and flaps working after a few adjustments. Not bad for over twenty years. Few more things to get sorted (leaking hyd pipe for one) and next week possible wing fold under hydraulic power instead of assistant from the crane.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Fantastic news, good luck with the rest of the work.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Keep up the good work!!

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thanks for the update Nad and well done to all involved. Please keep us informed of any further progress. Also any restoration photos that you could post would be welcome!

Rob

Member for

8 years 9 months

Hello Nad,

What's the latest in the Gannet please? Do you have any footage of the wing fold operation?