Pre 1989 AIB/AAIB reports

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

I suspect that this question has been asked and answered before on this forum, but as the search facility here is able to access only a small fraction of the material and a google search has not led me to an old thread here on the subject, forive me for asking it again.

I wish to trace the AIB report on an aircraft accident which occurred nearly 50 years. Reports of this vintage are not accessible through the AAIB website. I assume that they have been archived, probably in the National Archives at Kew or in the National Aerospace Library at Farnborough. If so, can someone tell me which. If not, can someone tell me where.

And to avoid the suggestion being made in response to this request - yes, I have contacted the AAIB and I await a response. But as I have an offer of help from someone going to Kew - an offer most valuable to someone who does not live in the UK - I am trying to shortcut the process so as not to lose the benefit of that offer!

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Any takers?

Member for

16 years 9 months

Have you tried putting the aircraft registration in your search engine ? often works Googling ?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks T-21. There's nothing on the net about this crash that I haven't seen or, as is the case now, posted there myself.

It's the AIB report I want to see and that's not available online. The National Archives search engine gives no indication that the reports are there. Although the caveat to this is that it appears that a good deal of aeronautical material there is not yet fully catalogued, so a different result might be the product of a physical search!

The above is the reason for my request - as I still await a response from the AAIB - in the hope that someone on this forum might know where the old AIB/AAIB reports are located and available for inspection.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Avion
Could you tell us which report you are looking for, someone on the forum might already have access to it?

Richard

Member for

17 years 6 months

If you at least give us a date it would help. we do have a load of them, but not sure if they go back far enough.

Have you tried the reports on here, they go back to the 40's

http://aviation-safety.net/database/

Member for

16 years 7 months

AAIB reports

A.A. whilst I cannot answer your question, local news papers have proved to be a good source of info when I have been investigating incidents. I wanted to find out more about the demise of my fathers Proctor in May 69. Apart from
DBR Malaga 1969 there was little else of relevance. Business found me in Malaga some years back, I made time to visit the local newspaper office. As luck would have it at another building along the street they had every copy from 1870 beautifully bound in a massive library. For a small fee I found the volume covering, May to July 1969 and there on the front page no less was a picture of GTC inverted on the beach. I hope your quest is fruitful as there are quite a few reports that I would like to read.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you pogno, TonyT and Tango Charlie.

The crash is that of Miles Falcon G-ADTD at Angmering on 21 September 1962. There is a thread on this, initiated by me long ago, at http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76980.

I have tried the website you suggest, TonyT, but it is not there. That website seems to major on transport and military aircraft crashes, to the widespread exclusion of light aircraft crashes.

I have what I believe are copies of all the local newspaper reports concerning the crash, together with the brief mentions in the nationals, but it's the AIB report (if there is one) that I'm most keen to see.

Member for

19 years 2 months

There are some CAA papers relating to G-ADTD at the NA, DR 16/221, I've had a look at DR 16 records for some other aircraft which had accidents and sometimes they contained copies of AIB reports.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, Alan. I'm extremely grateful for that information. I can pass it on to a contact in the UK who has offered to take a look at and, if appropriate, copy any relevant papers - including hopefully the AIB accident report - on one of his regular visits to Kew. When one doesn't live in the UK and makes only infrequent trips there, such offers are much appreciated!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks, TonyT. They're on my file along with those relating to Nighthawk G-AGWT (also owned by Geoffrey Marler).

Member for

16 years 8 months

Having now heard from the AAIB, I am told that no report into this accident was prepared by their predecessors. Thus it looks as if this is another line of enquiry that has come to an end.

As an aside, the most recent communication from the AAIB informed me that:

"Finally you are right, the AAIB does not hold all reports it/predecessors publish. We are obliged to keep reports for 25 years from date of publication after which they are reviewed for destruction. Following the review some of the reports may well be kept or may end up with the National Archives"

My interpretation of that statement is not that the reports will either be kept or be lodged with the National Archives but that reports may be kept or may be lodged with the National Archives but, equally, may be destroyed. If the latter is a correct interpretation of the statement, it is both sad and of concern in that valuable and important material may well be lost to future researchers.

Member for

19 years 2 months

The same policy exists within the MoD, in a thread on another forum there was discussion of a Freedom of Information request for a Court of Inquiry report by a next of kin. They were told the record no longer existed as the MoD was only required to retain those types of records for 50 years and then had to chose between the National Archives and the shredder. They said they chose the shredder.

If that statement was true then a huge quantity of wartime records were destroyed in the mid 1990s because someone in the MoD said they were not 'of historical value' even though they had been receiving requests for them from researchers and relative since at least the late 60s.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Worth trying the Miles Aircraft Museum at Woodley. Peter Amos produced the Miles magazine for private circulation . Sure they have information on G-ADTD.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, T-21. On this subject I had an interesting and profitable exchange of e-mails with Peter nearly four years ago! I hadn't realised quite how long I'd been researching it. However I'm still failing in one key aim, which is to ascertain whether the pilot's widow and/or children are alive today and, if so, to make contact with them. It's a very small needle in a very large haystack!

Member for

17 years 6 months

Take it you have seen his picture here

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1951/1951%20-%201051.html

It states he was a New Zealander.

Geoffrey Cecil Marler
"A New Zealander, and
international sales director of a group of shoe companies
, he uses
personal aircraft extensively for business journeys"

Ok so he deals in shoes and comes from New Zealand, in 2004 a company was wound up that may help you in your quest, especially as others are running still it appears with the family name.

see

http://bdcentral.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=8338&idBobDeyProperty_Articles=3529&SID=483595174

Voluntary liquidation: Marler Shoes folds after 122 years

Company: Marler Shoes Ltd

Directors: Blair & Janis Harkness

Liquidation: 5 October

Liquidators: John Price & Christopher Horton (Horton Price Ltd)

Creditors’ claims: Wednesday 3 November

Directors’ other main interests: Marler Shoes was incorporated in 1882. Janis Harkness is also a director of Marler Works Ltd, incorporated in March. The 3rd shareholder, Richard Halliwell, is a director of Halliwell Shoes Ltd & Helenmarie Enterprises Ltd. Former director Geoffrey Marler is a director of Guffy Enterprises Ltd, HM Marler & Co Ltd (wound up in 2001 with a surplus exceeding $2 million) & Ngaio Trading Ltd.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Ok further to that see

http://nz.vicdir.com/sn93281-0-marler-shoes-ltd.htm

And a coincidence?????, a Family member in a Marler Shoe Company in New Zealand with the same surname and with an email address.

Ms. Janis Marler
Marler Shoes Ltd
[email]janis@marler.co.nz[/email]

MARLER SHOE CO LTD
Ms Janis Marler
PO Box 20 345, Glen Eden, Auckland, New Zealand
Phone +64 9 818 7883 Fax +64 9 818 8811
email: [email]janis@marler.co.nz[/email], web: www.marler.co.nz
Womens fashion and casual footwear

from

http://www.nzfootwear.org.nz/?id=2675

Might be worth dropping the said young lady an email............. :)

Former director Geoffrey Marler is a director of Guffy Enterprises Ltd

Also one mentioned above as a former director was another Geoff Marler........... seems a strange coincidence, named after grandfather?? Father??

see

http://www.corptrading.net/nztool/detail.jsp?key=1249277

Member for

16 years 8 months

Many thanks, TonyT. The photo of Geoffrey Marler is already in my research file. Dontcha luv the greatcoat! So much of its time.

I was unaware of the NZ Marler Shoes Ltd. connection. I'll look further into that. However it appears that in the UK, Geoffrey Marler's shoe interests were linked to the British Shoe Corporation and Charles Clore. So I suspect that this aspect of his life was not without interest! I'm also grateful for the NZ e-mail address for a potential family member. I'll certainly use that.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Not sure if there is a connection, but it does seem possible, Added another link to another Geoff Marler at bottom of last post, would seem if it was a family business he may have got his position in the UK because of his knowledge of the business after the war....

Member for

16 years 8 months

I'm not sure what, if any, connection there is between the two Geoffrey Marlers - half a century and half a world apart - but the latter is not the child of the former. Geoffrey Marler's children were named Christopher, Nicky and Amanda (and for the sake of completeness, his widow's name was Brenda). Sadly I've not been able to trace any of them and the only online reference is, in Burke's Peerage, to the marriage and divorce of his eldest child.