I've lost a Bell 47....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

Anyone know the whereabouts of Bell 47D G-ASOL? I've looked at NEAM and behind the sofa, and its not there....

NEAM's Bell 47 is most likely a Sioux (G model), and NOT my missing parafin palm tree....

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

One on-line list gives it at The Helicopter Museum at Weston, but I think that is quite old!

Member for

13 years 6 months

Way too out of date... ;) Any photos from this year?

Member for

14 years 6 months

According to our website our Bell 47 is G-ASOL. I've always been under the impression it was a D

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thats what we are trying to work out - it does not fit with the D model variations - the pod is much later. The tanks and elevator don't match with a D model either. What NEAM has, is not a D. The best idea we have for the one at NEAM is Bell 47H-13 (Westland Sioux AH1) XT148.

G-ASOL seems to have never been at NEAM dispite what has been quoted on their website. We have a sketchy clue that OL was at The Helicopter Museum a number of years ago, but nothing up to date.

Story 1: XT148 was apparently collected from the Army Air Corps directly in 1990

Story 2: XT148 was collected from THM (Weston) along with a second AH1. 148 is still at NEAM, and the second example migrated to Aeroventure.

Problem - G-ASOL is still missing...

Profile picture for user Phantom Phil

Member for

16 years 4 months

I was at NEAM when Aeroventure came and collected the spare Bell 47 / Sioux one Saturday Afternoon. So the only thing I can guess is the one at NEAM is either XT148 or G-ASOL. I'm no egg-whisk expert but surely there will be a makers plate somewhere... I also remember there was many spare ex army Sioux fuel tanks around at the time including a one in UN blue and what looked like an Army display team...

Member for

19 years 5 months

I don't think I've seen a D in the UK.
The Sioux were Gs (actually a 47G3B-1) as are most/all civil ships in the UK.

Gs had different cabin, engine basket, tail boom, fuel tanks, elevator...
a lot of differnces.

Ds have one piece fuel tank, no elevator at the rear and no "hump" on cabin sides.

Member for

13 years 6 months

The one at NEAM has all of those features, and is therefore not G-ASOL. So where is it.....?

Member for

18 years 7 months

The original remains were brought from Middle Wallop where they came from the dump and are definitely Sioux. They were gifted to the museum by the Commandant at the time whilst we were acquiring various other bits.

During my time at NEAM there was never a civil Bell 47

Member for

13 years 6 months

NEAM's '47 has been confirmed as Westland Sioux (Bell 47H-13) xt148. Gifted to NEAM by the Helicopter Museum along with another, less complete example which has moved to Aeroventure. All paperwork records confirm this transaction. However, it does not explain what has hapened to the civvie D model, or how NEAM seem to have it on their books dispite it most likely not existing since the late 1960's.....

Member for

13 years 6 months

Mr. Boyle, please keep up. The D model is not and appears to never have been at NEAM. I need to find out its current wherabouts in order to track down exactly why it appears on the NEAM website and other NEAM related places... I guarantee that it is not there. Both of NEAM's 47's were ex- British Army Sioux models with verified histories..

Member for

18 years 7 months

The Bell 47 has been discussed before

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=95392

The first remains certainly came from Middle Wallop as they were acquired on one of my many trips, with the then NEAM treasurer, to empty the Gazelle scrap bin

I am not aware of the arrival from the IHM as this must have been after my time along with any disposal to Aeroventure

Member for

16 years 6 months

i was always under the impression that NEAMs 47 was a G cab?

Member for

16 years 8 months

NEAM's Bell 47 is most likely a Sioux (G model), and NOT my missing parafin palm tree....

I've got some alloy scaffolding, one of those old perspex bowl telephone kiosk covers, and a Villiers 2 stroke - could you make a D model from that?

Member for

18 years 7 months

I've got some alloy scaffolding, one of those old perspex bowl telephone kiosk covers, and a Villiers 2 stroke - could you make a D model from that?

:diablo: Brilliant.....lol

Member for

13 years 6 months

Mr. Marley, for once I agree with you... G's and H's seem to be the same (one by Bell, the other by Westland), or so my limited research indicates. I'm sure the world's expert on Bell 47's will be along soon enough.

Pagen: :D

So no-0ne's got any idea about G-ASOL?.....

Member for

18 years 7 months

Haven't a clue as to it's current whereabouts but google threw up an intersting photo of G-ASOL which might interest you as it appears to have had some modifications:

HERE

Member for

19 years 5 months

Mr. Marley, for once I agree with you... G's and H's seem to be the same (one by Bell, the other by Westland), or so my limited research indicates. I'm sure the world's expert on Bell 47's will be along soon enough.

Pagen: :D

No. The H was a little produced variant...it's basically a 3 seat J Ranger (or if you prefer...a G with an enclosed tailboom). The suffix letters have NOTHING to do whether it was built by Bell or assembled by Westland.

Mr. Boyle, please keep up. The D model is not and appears to never have been at NEAM.

If they don't have one, why do they (or at least Thomas Emms) want to know how to paint one?
Per the Bell 47 thread yesterday, he gave me the impression that they had a D.

Am I going to have to fly to the UK to sort this thing out? :)

Member for

13 years 6 months

No need to book flights yet..... ;)

NEAM are restoring a Bell 47. The website (and some of the members think that its a D model - in particular G-ASOL. It's definately NOT a D. It sports the features of a much later variant. It has also been confirmed that it is XT148, an Army Air Corps Westland Sioux AH1. From what I could find on it, its an H-13, which I (incorrectly) assumed was a Westland derivative of a G... anyway, moving on... The paint scheme request remains (and quite rightly on another thread.)

The issue here is the lack of G-ASOL, which was a D model... quite different from the G,H or anything later....

Member for

19 years 9 months

Has it ever had a positive location since being withdrawn from use ( in 1983 according to G-INFO)?