Bendix Model J Four Place Helicopter circa 1946

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

Check out this article on the Bendix Model J Four Place Helicopter:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6259013168_b40da301e3_o.jpg

This co-axial, counter-rotating type helicopter was proposed to the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics in 1946, which elected to pass on the design. The image gallery reproduces the original proposal document and features numerous rare, high resolution photos of the Model J under construction. Also a featured are two photos of the single place Bendix Model K. Worth checking out if you are a fan of rare helicopter designs!

-Jared

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I recognized it as the Gyrodyne helicopter developed by Peter J. Papadakos using the assets he bought from the bankrupt Bendix Helicopter Company .

The Gyrodyne helicopter, which according to an 1955 book of mine "was the first coaxial type helicopter to complete flight tests".

The firm later made the QH0-50 UAV shipboard torpedo carrier operated off destroyers.

The business is still in existance today, it seems their old factory site is in a prime location and the modern company is into real estate. A historic foundation made up of former employees restores the drones and other naval items.

Here's a photo froom my book.

Attachments