453 Sqn query - August 1944

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Scouring the net I have found the squadron ORB for 453 Sqn and searching I discovered the following entry for the 26/8/44:-

ARMED RECCE - Rouen St Mury(?)
1 Spitfire flying right in among gaggle of Me 109's in Aumale(?) area was inadvertently fired at by F/L (?) Olver at approximately 0945 hours after leaving gaggle until recognised as a Spitfire. There were no other Spitfires in the vicinity. The A/C lettering was AU-G or AU-C. The Spitfire which took absolutely no evasive action was seen(?) to have been already extensively damaged and had holes along the fuselage. The aircraft which gave out a little black smoke was followed and seen to crash in a field to the SE of Dieppe. The pilot did not bail out. 1 ME 109 probably destroyed by F/O Carter(?), 1 ME 109 probably destroyed by W/O Duff, 1 ME 109 probably destroyed by S/L Smith(?) 20 ME109's sighted NE Paris at 20,000 feet to 25,000 feet when squadron were at 26,000 feet. Dog-fight ensued.

The page is a bit hard to read but I think I have de-cyphered the entry correctly. (http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=1359195&I=1&SE=1 - page 130 refers)

Can anyone throw any light on this?
The reason I ask is I think I have found the gun camera footage for this incident - everything fits with the ORB entry but the clip is amongst footage shot during 9/44.
Clip shows an aircraft ahead which, as the gap is closed, appeared to me to be another Spitfire. The 'target' slipped out of the top of the frame as it got closer then briefly reappears showing the lower half of the fuselage and under wing radiators (by now, definitely a Spitfire radiator set up) and then what appeared to be round/s striking the rear of the right wing.

Are the AU codes for 421 ‘Red Indian’ (Canadian) Squadron?
From 16 Jun 44, 127 Wing was based at B.2 Bazenville, Normandy then from
28 Aug 44, 127 Wing moved to B.26 Iliers l'Eveque, Normandy so they were operating in the area.

Original post

Member for

18 years

Tried the Australian Spitfire Association?

Member for

14 years 4 months

Should be F/O J. Flood , crashed at Biville-la-Baignarde ( south Dieppe) aboard Spitfire IX ML308 , but date is 25 August , am. Reported as being shot down by a Fw190 ( N. Franks , RAF Fighter Command losses ) .

Member for

18 years 4 months

1 ME 109 probably destroyed by F/O Carter(?), 1 ME 109 probably destroyed by W/O Duff, 1 ME 109 probably destroyed by S/L Smith(?)

S/L Donald H Smith PL186/H
F/O William H Carter NH557/G
W/O Keith F Daff 'Daffy' PL224/C

Member for

2 years 7 months

Hi,

ORB for 421 shows F/O Flood KIA on 26 August 1944.

see document attached.

Attachments