Trying to find a Bolton Lad

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

I know its a bit vague but perhaps someone can give me the correct pointer I have been asked to look into a Spitfire pilot killed in action during WW2 possibly the Battle of Britain and he came from Bolton in Lancashire.

Anyone give me any pointers or possible candidates for who it may be please.

I have been told that a local newspaper did something on this guy about ten years ago but cant track it down to the paper or a name etc.

Hoping some of you dedicated research guys can start me off

many thanks.

Mike E

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Have you discounted Sgt Thomas Blackburn as he was killed in an accident (17/10/1941), rather than action?

It is probably worth ignoring the 'Spitfire' type and assuming at best that it was some single-engined RAF aircraft. The last Spitfire pilot enquired about here turned out to be flying a Lancaster.

Moggy

Member for

14 years 3 months

Thanks Moggy but he is definitely 100% Spitfire pilot its just we have lost his details (silly us)

Mike E

Member for

14 years 3 months

Squadron Leader John Colin Mungo Park

To move on from our original question we have found the man Squadron Leader John Colin Mungo Park DFC. Co of 74 squadron KIA 1941 whilst flying his Spitfire in combat against two ME 109 aircraft he is buried in Belgium.

great Guys we need more can anyone help with the following;

Mark of Spitfire he was flying

The serial of the Spitfire he was flying

The codes of the Aircraft he was flying

Has any of the crash site been investigated in Belgium and where abouts is it ?.

I understand members of the Battle of Britain Historical Society have done some research on this pilot is anyone from that organisation on the forum and can they assist us.

Very valid reason for all this information needed the reason why will become obvious very soon.

Ta very muchly

Mike E

www.aircraftrestorationgroup.webs.com

Member for

17 years 1 month

This is quite a well known aircraft and crash, several photos of which have appeared on ebay over the years. to answer the questions;

Mark of Spitfire he was flying
Spitfire Va

The serial of the Spitfire he was flying
X4668 Presentation aircraft 'Burbage'

The codes of the Aircraft he was flying
ZP-E

Has any of the crash site been investigated in Belgium and where abouts is it ?.
near Adinkerke.

I painted this aircraft for the cover of Air Britain's 'Gifts of War' some time ago.

Hope this helps!

Mark P

I will be seeing my Belgian contacts in France on 19 April and I think this is a site they have investigated.

There are several photos of the crash, most of which I have and as Posart points out. Sadly, some are just too grim to publish on a public forum.

Member for

14 years 3 months

One thing I did miss out Andy do you have the actual date he was KIA ?

Thanks

Mike E

It was 27 June 1941.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Again thanks guys keep the info coming its for an exciting project (we hope).

Just getting approval from those that matter more info shortly.

Mike E

www.aircraftrestorationgroup.webs.com

Member for

19 years 3 months

Have you discounted Sgt Thomas Blackburn as he was killed in an accident (17/10/1941), rather than action?

It is probably worth ignoring the 'Spitfire' type and assuming at best that it was some single-engined RAF aircraft. The last Spitfire pilot enquired about here turned out to be flying a Lancaster.

Moggy

Although obviously discounted - But just for everyone's general interest - Some details re Sgt Thomas Blackburn here: Tomahawk AK 191, Mornington Road, Bolton - 17th October 1941

Member for

14 years 3 months

yes we discounted a few people for specific reasons IE they where not Spitfire pilots and or flying spitfires at the time of their demise. Thanks.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Do you have a photo of his headstone? I was there years ago because it is near to Dunkirk, I was attending the Dunkirk veterans events with my Grandad. Also think there is a road named after him? Hornchurch way?

Member for

24 years 3 months

http://www.74squadron.org.uk/Mungo%20Park_files/image011.jpg

Mungo`s nephews, Geoffrey (left) and Chris at the graveside.

Moggy