b-50 crash information.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 9 months

Hello.

A friend of mine was recently given permission to go metal detecting on a farm near Great Dunmow, Essex. The field had recently been ploughed and he soon started to find pieces of what appears to be aircraft skin as well as a few un fired but broken .50cal rounds dating to 1951.

After spending ages searching the internet we have only come across one American news paper article dated 07/11/1952 mentioning a B-50 Superfortress from Upper Heyford crashing near Dunmow with all 11 crew members feared killed.

Can anyone hear shed any further information on this incident?

Regards

Steve.

Original post

Member for

14 years 9 months

Cheers Alan.

That's a good reference point.

Steve

Member for

24 years 2 months

Changing fields, Steve?:D

Those crash reports are well worth shelling out for - search this forum for an F100 crash near Gosfield, and you'll see some of the stuff that the 1950s ones contain.

Adian

Member for

14 years 9 months

No Adrian afraid i am just doing someone a favour:D

Steve.

Member for

18 years

Steve,

Brief report in The Times dated 7 November 1952:

B50 BOMBER CRASHES IN ESSEX

TEN MEN ON BOARD

An American B 50 Stratobomber, with a crew of 10, crashed near Stansted aerodrome, Exxex, shortly before midnight last night, and caught fire. Two of the crew were believed to have baled out before the crash.

The aircraft belonged to the 7th Air Division. A United States Air Force spokesman said that it was returning to Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire, from a training flight when the crash occurred. The aircraft was burnt out and most of the crew were killed.

Essex fire brigade recovered five bodies from the wreckage.

The B 50 Stratobomber has a wingspan of 141 ft, a range of 6000 miles, and a cruising speed of about 300 mph. An aircraft of this type made the first non-stop flight round the world in 1949.

Nothing else I'm afraid.

If you try the library covering the Stansted area I'm sure the archived local newspapers will carry a more comprehensive report (possibly some photos?)

Brian

Member for

24 years 2 months

No Adrian afraid i am just doing someone a favour:D

Steve.

Even better - THEY pay!

Adrian
(seriously - point him at the crash report. You've seen the P38 one, I think, well the 1950s ones have loads more info)

Member for

10 months

Steve, 

My grandfather was killed in that crash.  I'd be interested to hear about what your friend found.  Please contact me if you can.

Greg

Member for

11 years 11 months

Hi All, 

I have the crash report and some parts of the plane contact me if you would like too. 

cheers

Daz