Wellington (?) Crash 30 October 1942

Member for

11 years 2 months

In finding out all about the recent Lancaster flypast at Bellingdon, I came accross another incident which, so far, has no answers.

It starts with an oak tree - split from top to bottom. The web published info is to be found at

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/ccbmaps/483/137/blasted-oak.html

This does not go into much detail - here is the story in more detail as recounted by Michael Dady, who was 5 at the time:
On 30 th October 1942 on a very foggy morning a plane (I think a Wellington) crashed into Baldwins Wood at the bottom of Taylors Lane just up in the woods from its junction with Bottom Lane. My Father and his mates, George Jaycock and Bill Compton heard the crash and ran from a field called 'Old Grass' near Arrewig Farm about 1.5 miles from the site. When Dad got to the site, guided by exploding ammunition, they found a gruesome sight but managed to pull two persons alive from the wreckage. Unfortunately they died before medical asistance arrived. Some days later, Mum, Dad and I were walking home to Chivery when we came accross George Jaycock with an International TD6 crawler tractor trying to get this very large object into the air to allow an RAF trailer to back under. They had a wire hawser over this oak tree and the TD6 was struggling to elevate it. Mum and I were put in a safe place and Dad went over to help. I laugh when I recall seeing him swinging from the hawser, all 12 stone of him, trying to give a little extra lift. Suddenly there was an almighty crack and all further attempts were abandoned as the trunk of the tree had split. I learned later that the 'big object' was a bomb door from the aircraft. their efforts were recognised by a letter from the Bucks Chief Constable and the Permanent Air Ministry Sec. of State, an excerpt of which is as follows: '..the assistance you rendered when a RAF aircraft crashed in Baldwins Wood, Wendover involving the loss of many lives...' I always thought that some very important people were killed..'

Hunting around has not produced any information on this crash so can I appeal for assistance, please? Thanks.

Original post
Profile picture for user paulmcmillan

Member for

19 years 11 months

Air Britian has

"30.10.42 Hudson III V8983 24 Sqn Bordon Wood, Wendover, Bucks. flew into high ground"

methinks this is a typo and should be Baldwins Wood (there is a Borden Wood in Sussex) as Baldwins Wood is near Wendover, Bucks.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Air Britian has

"30.10.42 Hudson III V8983 24 Sqn Bordon Wood, Wendover, Bucks. flew into high ground"

methinks this is a typo and should be Baldwins Wood (there is a Borden Wood in Sussex) as Baldwins Wood is near Wendover, Bucks.

Thanks, Paul. It is a good lead and I'll try to follow it up. I suspect you are right about the typo.

Profile picture for user paulmcmillan

Member for

19 years 11 months

I think I have found at least 4 of crew

Deaths Dec 1942
Cook Raymond 29 Aylesbury 3a 1436
Hudd Arthur G 21 Aylesbury 3a 1438
Morbin Walter J 34 Aylesbury 3a 1438
Day John F A 42 Aylesbury 3a 1437 ** Age difference on CWGC

COOK, RAYMOND
Trade:Pilot
Service No:64275