DIG WW2 tonight unearth a mk12 Spitfire

Member for

13 years 11 months

For those that can tune into BBC1 Northern Ireland DIG WW2 9.00pm, Dan snow and his team excavate a MK12 spitfire lost On the 6th January 1944 flown by Flt Off Harold Frederick Heninger

Here's a clip of the programe

Gareth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00smlqp

Original post

Member for

13 years 2 months

Episode 1 available on BBC iPlayer - nobody bother me for an hour! ;)

Profile picture for user Growler

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thoroughly enjoyed Episode 1, and my two boys (aged 7 and 10) were riveted to it, especially the Spitfire dig, and have announced that they want to watch the whole series. Good score, BBC.

Profile picture for user JollyGreenSlugg

Member for

13 years 5 months

Wot, only one?!

Ahem...

In all seriousness, it sounds fascinating. I'll have to see whether we can get it in the far-off parts of the former Empire.

Cheers,
Matt

Profile picture for user Oxcart

Member for

12 years

It was when Mr Snow proclaimed that Martin Baker invented the ejectiin seat that I decided his 'research' was somewhat lacking!

Was it another one of those ejector seat equipped Spitfires the press are so fond of telling us about, then?

Member for

8 years 3 months

Think i heard him say that catalinas never had undercarrige fitted as they were mostly to be found on the water.

Member for

10 years 7 months

Hmm, I tried watching the clip, but it looks like the BBc doesnt want the "colonists" to see it,,,

Profile picture for user 1958biggles

Member for

13 years 2 months

BBC iplayer issues

Try using a programme for your computer called ADtelly - works great in Canada and New Zealand!

Profile picture for user Dan Johnson

Member for

16 years 9 months

Was lucky enough to see some photos of that dig back when it was happening. The Griffon III that came out was a beauty. Lots of good bits. EN223. Maybe someday flying in 91 colors along EN224 in 41 colors?

Hey I can dream can't I? :)

Member for

10 years 7 months

Thanks Biggles, i will look into that. and Dan is the Griffon saveable? i have no knowlwdge of this aircraft so dont know how it hard it hit.

Profile picture for user Easyrider5258

Member for

10 years 9 months

is the Griffon saveable?

Looked fairly intact but has crankcase damage from throwing a con-rod which caused the loss of the Aircraft.

Profile picture for user Oxcart

Member for

12 years

Anyone know if there is any chance of the data plate flying again? (ooh, controversial!)