Sea Venom for sale in the U.S.

Profile picture for user J Boyle

Member for

15 years 1 month

I was surprised to see it in Trade-A-Plane.
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1524860.html

The owner calls it a Vampire but if I'm not mistaken it's a Sea Venom.
It's part of a jet warbird collection which includes a rare Douglas F5D Skylancer modified by NASA with a wing for SST research (I'm told it was flown by Neil Armstrong), F-104, A-7, A-4 and a couple of MiGs (which seem to have replaced wingless Ercoupes as non-functioning airport "art" lately :) ).

Anyone know about the Venom? I know some ex-RCAF (and other) Vampires were flown here, but a Sea Venom must have been rare.
Hopefully, it will find a good home in the UK.

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Its ex Royal Australian Navy -probably the only one still airworthy. Nice aircraft but probably of limited value.

Profile picture for user G-ASEA

Member for

13 years 9 months

I also see a DH 90 Dragonfly is up for sale in Trade-A-plane.

Dave

Profile picture for user Wyvernfan

Member for

12 years 1 month

If only i had the money. Think its ex RAN, and i believe this one can be ground run and taxied too.

Edit. You beat me to it DB. Although i'd be surprised if its a flyer.

Rob

Profile picture for user pagen01

Member for

12 years 3 months

I would love to see this come to the UK and be retuned to flying status! How come big lotto winners never seem to be post-war Fleet Air Arm fanatics?!

Maybe a return to Australia would be possible, they seem quite keen on their flying heritage.

Member for

10 years 10 months

It is ex-RAN Sea Venom FAW.53, WZ944 / N7022H, which was restored to flying condition in the markings of 809 Squadron. It was certainly airworthy up to a few years ago.

Profile picture for user Phantom Phil

Member for

12 years

Well said!

I would love to see her come back over to the UK although like you said, maybe Australia will be more interested...

I would love to see this come to the UK and be retuned to flying status! How come big lotto winners never seem to be post-war Fleet Air Arm fanatics?!

Maybe a return to Australia would be possible, they seem quite keen on their flying heritage.

Profile picture for user Black Knight

Member for

16 years 1 month

Rare Hunter T8M for only $19K

Member for

13 years 11 months

I also see a DH 90 Dragonfly is up for sale in Trade-A-plane.

Dave

Yes it G-AEDT now in New Zealand. If only a lottery winner would buy it and donate it to the Shuttleworth Trust, wouldnt it look lovely next to the Comet racer.

Richard

Profile picture for user Consul

Member for

15 years 3 months

It is ex-RAN Sea Venom FAW.53, WZ944 / N7022H, which was restored to flying condition in the markings of 809 Squadron. It was certainly airworthy up to a few years ago.

I thought the only "recently" airworthy Sea Venom was the ex Amjet example N903WZ (Ex RAN N4-903, WZ903). I recall seeing that fly at the Oshkosh gathering in 2000. Was N7022H also flown in the US in the recent past?

Tim

Profile picture for user Wyvernfan

Member for

12 years 1 month

Thats interesting. I thought the Amjet example never got completed, and therefore never flew with the organisation. :confused:

Rob

Profile picture for user Consul

Member for

15 years 3 months

I think it's me getting the two airframes confused and if so I apologise. The scheme I see from web pics that "WZ944" carries is how I remember the Oshkosh visitor appearing. My aged brain must be getting addled as maybe that was N7022H I saw flying then.

Tim