Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Found this on WIX and i'm hoping folks on here might find it interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQhoPXwXsI&feature=share

Original post

Member for

15 years 6 months

Wing components, I'm assuming these are for the new wing for FHC's T.III TV959 (Glyn Powell's wing is constructed). FHC has required in the past that its restorers agree to a non-disclosure clause - no public acknowledgement of work for FHC. However, the new wing can be seen in the background in a jig on the May update pics for KA114 on AvSpecs Facebook.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Bloody marvellous. Clever chaps those Kiwis!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Bloody marvellous. Clever chaps those Kiwis!

I met the very man who did this last week! Very clever stuff indeed.

Member for

16 years 6 months

This is old technology really, its been around a long time, I've been doing this stuff since 1989, we are all probably no further than 20 miles from somebody with this capability.

Member for

13 years 3 months

This is old technology really, its been around a long time, I've been doing this stuff since 1989, we are all probably no further than 20 miles from somebody with this capability.

Very True. The majority of the wooden parts for my Snipe are currently being made this way.
Still, very nice to see the mossie parts being made.

Bob T.

Member for

20 years

..as well as a reminder of that superb Mosquito CGI right at the very end.

Member for

24 years 3 months

True enough. Not especially exciting in itself, but what does amaze me is the thought that nearly 8,000 Mosquitos were built in the 1940's (with wooden components made to astonishing tolerances) without the use of CNC machines such as this.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I knew this technology existed, but it's still astounding to see the thing in action. It's amazing to see the machine cutting multiple parts from one sheet, such as those nose ribs being cut right up against eachother. Amazing precision!

How many body parts would Geoffrey deH. have given for this kind of technology...

Member for

20 years 10 months

This is old technology really, its been around a long time
Indeed it has - the laborious CAD work required re-draw the original component profiles and drive the cutting head is the larger part of the excercise!

It's amazing to see the machine cutting multiple parts from one sheet, such as those nose ribs being cut right up against eachother.
These machines have programmes for maximising the number of parts of any given shape that can be cut out of a sheet of material...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Indeed, that's the 'clever' bit to which I was referring.

As Mark says, the tolerances required are pretty tight, for a material that can expand and shrink depending on the humidity and temperature of the day.

Bruce

Member for

16 years 5 months

They should be able to run a Miles off in about an hour!

Member for

19 years

He is a very clever young chap and its good you two had the chance to chat.
I was there the other day and the setup is amazing and will certainly speed up the process no end, will make future projects much, much easier also.

Member for

17 years 7 months

Any part common to a certain single-seat twin-engined de Havilland aircraft? :diablo:

Member for

20 years 4 months

Any part common to a certain single-seat twin-engined de Havilland aircraft? :diablo:

The wood is the common part! The CAD CNC sorts out the rest.

Needless to say that these re-manufactured fuselage/wings are superb, and should ensure that Mosquitos will continue to fly in the future.

I would say that it is the availability of metal parts, systems, and consumables that would be the make-or-break of many more "flyers".

Member for

12 years 3 months

There is a background article on Glyn Powell in the insert magazine of The NZ Herald newspaper, including several photos of the workshop etc.

http://www.theaucklander.co.nz/news/glyn-powell-building-mosquito/1449905/

Glyn Powell's head pops out from beneath a plane carcase draped in sheets and various ragged shapes of cloth. The plane sits on a perch of wooden trestles in a hangar-shaped shed in Drury, built especially to house its transformation.

Glyn fits easily under a big wooden wing, and shuffles towards us across a concrete floor that's a little sawdusty in parts.

A firm handshake, a sheepish grin. He gestures at his baby - aMosquito T43 he's rebuilding completely. He bought it around 25 years ago, thinking he could restore it in five years, then fly it. But he soon realised the glue that held together the all-wood airframe would never pass the flying test.

Also see sidebar link to January story on Avspecs and KA114.

Thanks to flyernzl on Wings Over NZ for pointing this out, I don't normally look at the 'local' mag.

Member for

16 years 6 months

The wood is the common part! The CAD CNC sorts out the rest.

Needless to say that these re-manufactured fuselage/wings are superb, and should ensure that Mosquitos will continue to fly in the future.

WOW, that is so so clever.!

I take it then David that given the necessary budget that this kind of technique could be applied to re-manufacturing the wooden sections of a Sea Hornet too?! Or is there something else that makes it a different proposition altogether?

Rob

Member for

20 years 4 months

WOW, that is so so clever.!

I take it then David that given the necessary budget that this kind of technique could be applied to re-manufacturing the wooden sections of a Sea Hornet too?! Or is there something else that makes it a different proposition altogether?

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yes this is entirely possible for any wooden aircraft, and the quickest way to make a small production run of a type.

The added complication for a Hornet/Sea Hornet would be its forged aluminium lower spar.

Member for

18 years 3 months

We have one of those machines in work but we use it mostly for metal. We use it making repair pieces. It makes things so much easier. Even something as simple as a circular patch with evenly pitched rivet holes looks so much better. No more compasses and measuring. :D

If you combine one of these machines and a brake press you get factory standard parts.
One thing that does surprise me is that the machine in the video doesn't have the hoover attachment around the router cutter, that would stop most of the dust and swarf getting everywhere.

Member for

19 years 1 month

i watched a piece of aluminum get turned into a p39 main spar at Murray Griffiths work shop in wangarratta by a similar machine a few years back,absolutely incredible to watch in action.