Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks Martin & Tim.

Its a remnant from VZ795's windscreen that appears to of disintegrated when it went in. I acquired it from someone who was present at the site via another collector.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wyvern

Just a quick update on a couple of additions.
Twenty years ago i acquired an AH8267 tail wheel, and now finally this week a correct tyre has turned up for it :).

Also thanks to Bill T i now have a good complete type ZF harness for the seat (should really be a type ZD for the Mk.1B). If i can acquire a couple more items i might even get round to starting its restoration !

Rob

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Perceverence is paying off Rob:applause:

Member for

16 years 6 months

Indeed. Slowly but surely John :)

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks to the help and co-operation of the Fleet Air Arm Museums curator Dave Morris and Richard Barlow - and a drive down to Somerset, i was able to obtain the correct dimensions for the Wyvern's instrument panels, using the FAAM Wyvern TF.1.

Although the instruments used are quite different to the later S.4, the panels are the same size and basic shape. It was then a case of using pictures and reference material to place the correct items in the correct positions. First stage left and right mock ups are nearly complete baring a few missing items, the BFP is in progress.

Rob

Attachments

Member for

13 years 6 months

That is looking very professional indeed Rob...well done.
Regards Mike

Member for

16 years 6 months

Cheers Mike. I'm no engineer so just having a go and learning along the way.

Rob

Member for

16 years 11 months

Looking good. Everything in it's place and a place for everything!

Member for

24 years 3 months

" I'm no engineer so just having a go and learning along the way"

Beg to differ - you are already a "backstreet engineer" in the grand scheme of the "aeroplane in the garden shed" - it features in the background of most of your collection of bits!

If you keep turning out work like that you will soon be reaching for the Doctor of Technology award given to the ultimate backstreet engineer, the late, Fred Dibnah.

What are you missing for the blanks?

Regards
Ross

Member for

16 years 6 months

Looking good. Everything in it's place and a place for everything!

Cheers Ian.

" I'm no engineer so just having a go and learning along the way"

Beg to differ - you are already a "backstreet engineer" in the grand scheme of the "aeroplane in the garden shed" - it features in the background of most of your collection of bits!

If you keep turning out work like that you will soon be reaching for the Doctor of Technology award given to the ultimate backstreet engineer, the late, Fred Dibnah.

What are you missing for the blanks?

Regards
Ross

Thanks Ross, much appreciated. I have Bruce keeping a lookout for certain items but the more eyes looking the merrier. The holes you see could be filled with the following;

Switch ignition starter 5CW/4194 part no X.M.-C Dowty
Fuel gauge 6A/3052 Simmonds GP.211/065/7
" " 6A/3051 " GP.211/063/7
Indicator magnetic type A fuel level warning 5C/4361
Gauge fuel distributor 6A/2686 (marked LB FUEL 0 to 6)

Rob

Member for

14 years 6 months

Rob,
What are the plans? Building a piece of fuselage?
Cees

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi Rob,

Just to echo what others have said, well done it looks great. Keep the good work up, will have to visit the 'engineering' shed soon.

Kind regards,

Tim

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi Rob,

Just to echo what others have said, well done it looks great. Keep the good work up, will have to visit the 'engineering' shed soon.

Kind regards,

Tim

Tim, you're always welcome to call in if you're ever down this way. And thanks.

Rob,
What are the plans? Building a piece of fuselage?
Cees

At present I don't have the room to go that far Cees. But that may change in time.

Rob

Member for

14 years 6 months

Rob,

I didn't have room too in the beginnig and look what happened.
Cees

Member for

16 years 6 months

Very nice Mark, although i think i'll continue to throw my pennies at the real thing ;)

Rob

Member for

17 years 5 months

I know where you are coming from Rob, this is the sort of thing I would print off and leave lying around nearer to Christmas. :)

Member for

16 years 8 months

Coming along nicely Rob...really interesting thread,well done.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for the comments Martin.

Rob

Member for

20 years 4 months

Thanks to the help and co-operation of the Fleet Air Arm Museums curator Dave Morris and Richard Barlow - and a drive down to Somerset, i was able to obtain the correct dimensions for the Wyvern's instrument panels, using the FAAM Wyvern TF.1.

Although the instruments used are quite different to the later S.4, the panels are the same size and basic shape. It was then a case of using pictures and reference material to place the correct items in the correct positions. First stage left and right mock ups are nearly complete baring a few missing items, the BFP is in progress.

Rob

Hi Rob,

An excellent start.

This will be the fist step towards making this!!! :D