Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Think that must be a different item, aircraftclocks, as the 27J/249 i mention is part of the spade grips Dunlop identity.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wyvern

A couple of displays of less obvious smaller parts that have come from crash sites over the years (i make a point of not throwing anything away).

VZ747 on the left crashed on the 18/5/54 and ended with the tragic death of Armstrong Siddeleys chief test pilot Eddie Griffiths, who bravely elected to stay with the aircraft rather than eject after the engine refused to re-start during engine out tests. On visiting the crash site which was effectively a very heavy crash landing, it was poignant to see that one of the trees the aircraft hit was still standing. A thread on this incident can be found here http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=104168

VZ795 on the other hand was the result of a mid-air collision on 17/9/57 with fellow Wyvern S.4 VZ798. Thankfully both pilots ejected safely. They were part of a three ship formation returning to RNAS Ford one evening, and during a change of formation positions it is thought that VZ795's contra-rotating airscrew chewed off the tail of VZ798. It was also a miracle that both aircraft fell on open ground right on the edge of the nearest town.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 9 months

Might be of some help with the Sturgeon if you haven't seen it before.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for that Airfixtwin, and for your PM. That pic of the first prototype clearly shows how the cockpit was a completely separate section that was attached to the centre section / centre fuselage. Its also quite a good view of the front and starboard side instrument panels.

I have a couple of pics of scrapped Sturgeons that show how they were 'sliced' just behind the pilots seat, leaving a cockpit section but with no rear bulkhead.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

10,000 views... Thank you.

Thanks to all who in the past three months have viewed or contributed to this thread, including a large amount of 'guests' i might add, but you are all welcome. I never for one minute imagined there would be so much interest in these two largely forgotten types.
And if anyone has any associated and unwanted parts, photos, log books or ephemera etc then please please get in touch, using the email address below.
Lets save what we can now!

Anyway, i thought i would end the year with a copy of a letter i received in 1991 from former Westland chief test pilot Harald Penrose OBE, advising me that i would "find it impossible to collect sufficient Wyvern bits for a replica". I think the great man was probably right, but over twenty years later and possibly due to blind stupidity, eccentric optimism or just a stubborn determination not to give up, we are still persevering and still collecting!

Anyway, another year beckons, and for those interested i'll be adding more updates in 2013.

Rob

Attachments

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wyvern and Sturgeon

The Wyvern relevant collection of instruments continues to slowly grow, although some of which are proving quite hard to find. Shown here are the correct VHF radio control, oxygen regulator, nos switches and one of the three Simmonds fuel contents gauges. I'm still looking for the other two; 6A/3052 and 6A/3051

I've also made a little progress on the Sturgeon's P11 compass mount, although it has yet to be cut to shape. This will help give an approximate guide to the length and width of the left side main control panel.
Hmm, i wonder what the chances are of finding an original throttle box :rolleyes:.

Rob

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

Project coming together nicely Rob..really interesting thread !!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Great work Rob - really looking forward to seeing the Sturgeon develop over the coming months

Regards,

Tim

Member for

16 years 6 months

Project coming together nicely Rob..really interesting thread !!

Cheers Martin. Probably like yourself even a little progress helps keep the enthusiasm going :)

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Great work Rob - really looking forward to seeing the Sturgeon develop over the coming months

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim. Despite it being an extremely rare type like your Martinet i'm still confident that there's parts out there for the Sturgeon. Just a question of tracking them down. Well done on your recent success by the way.

Rob

Member for

13 years 6 months

Rob its amazing what does turn up, it will happen, just a matter of when,
in my experience. It will look superb.
Good Luck.
Cheers Mike

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks Mike. Not sure what we would find Sturgeon wise in Australia though.

But any chance of you smuggling one of those two AS Python engines that are in Oz back to me in England :D

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wyvern

After a trip to Newark last weekend i managed to add a couple of bits to the ejector seat, namely a working height adjustment handle and an early face screen with firing handle (thanks Naylan).
The nylon handle itself should be the slightly earlier red one for the Mk.1B instead of black and yellow, so if anyone has a spare red one i'd be interested.

Also a trip further south secured this very tidy early seat rail dated 1954.

Rob

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

Excellent finds - well done on tracking them down.

At this rate those Apaches really will be coming for you:D

Cheers

J

Member for

16 years 6 months

Cheers J. Its funny how items from a certain area of the airframe seem to turn up almost at the same time, but in different parts of the country :).

Rob

Member for

20 years 7 months

:D You're getting there Rob,slowly but surely :)

Member for

16 years 6 months

Yes indeed Gary - very slowly :D. Patience is the key with these rare types, just as others have discovered with the Hornet, Stirlings, Whitley, Martinet, Vampire FB.5 etc projects.

Rob

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wyvern

Corner section from the later flat type one-piece windscreen that was introduced circa 1956 and came equipped with a wiper. A 'P' clip still fixed on the reverse was for the wiring to the E2A standby compass.

Rob

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

Nice Rob.where did you find that ????

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi Rob,

Thats a nice find and in good condition, was it picked up at the time of the accident?

Regards,

Tim