Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.

The cockpit rig with canopy and ejection seat that I lashed up a couple of years ago gave me the correct floor to windscreen measurement for an S.4 plus the correct angle at which to set the windscreen so it can meet flush with the front of the canopy (the windscreen doesn't sit flat on the sill plate, as the front sits higher than the rear). The trip to Yeovilton got me the panel dimensions which in turn gave me the angle of the cockpit walls as they sit almost flush, plus the width of the cockpit floor and side panels.
So although it's not exact, in the absence of drawings or plans my "back of a fag packet dimensions" means it's close enough to meet my needs!

Rob

Member for

16 years 1 month

Looking good! what ever you manage to achieve is better than what currently survives i.e. nothing - well done and look forward to seeing this one grow!

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nice work! Lovely to see it in 3D, you'll be sitting in it soon.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi Rob,

Great work she really is beginning to take shape...........would be good to see her at Newark.

Regards,

Tim

Member for

16 years 5 months

Looking good! what ever you manage to achieve is better than what currently survives i.e. nothing - well done and look forward to seeing this one grow!

Thank you!

Rob

Member for

16 years 5 months

Nice work! Lovely to see it in 3D, you'll be sitting in it soon.

Cheers Ian. Still along way to go mind!

Rob

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Rob,

Great work she really is beginning to take shape...........would be good to see her at Newark.

Regards,

Tim

Cheers Tim, Newark might be a possibility - depending on progress and if I'm feeling brave :)

Rob

Member for

18 years 2 months

Rob, don’t look at it as being a brave decision; but rather as being a proud moment to show-off and share what you’ve achieved – it’s looking good! :applause:

Member for

13 years 5 months

Top work Rob, another brick in the wall.

Kind Regards Mike

Member for

16 years 5 months

Mike - many thanks, comment appreciated.

Howard - thank you for the encouragement. It has to be said that I never for one minute intended to make anything, just collect parts as and when. But having decided to fabricate some instrument panels it seemed a natural next step to hang them on 'something'.
I'm sure there are others out there who are in a similar position who have some bits of aircraft, maybe rare types too and would like to go a step further, but are a little unsure of what to do. So I hope that the interest and encouragement generated on here will give them a nudge to embark on something of their own - regardless of their ability!

Rob

Member for

16 years 11 months

Well said:applause:

Member for

18 years 2 months

....I'm sure there are others out there who are in a similar position who have some bits of aircraft, maybe rare types too and would like to go a step further, but are a little unsure of what to do. So I hope that the interest and encouragement generated on here will give them a nudge to embark on something of their own - regardless of their ability!

An interesting perspective and might I suggest even more reason why you should exhibit this year! :eagerness:

Member for

19 years

Look forward to a similar approach with the Sturgeon, when you feel the urge!

Member for

16 years 5 months

Again thanks for the comments.

Mark - the Sturgeon is a little bit different as it is just a windscreen... a very battered and twisted windscreen at that. To do anything would mean taking it apart and stripping it down and losing its patina or "life story" as I like to think of it. I have pictures of it as a complete reconditioned airframe (TS480) and also later as just a windscreen sat on top of a pile of scrap. It is also I believe a unique survivor from just twenty eight built.
So although I would love to add a control panel to it, for now Ive decided to leave it as is!

Rob

Member for

19 years

Rob, from your picture on page 1 the section of TS480 doesn't look that bad. I certainly wouldn't advocate stripping it for the reasons you state, but adding to it would enhance its opportunity to remember this forgotten type. Anyway you are doing a grand job anyway and its in safe hands.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Cheers Tim, Newark might be a possibility - depending on progress and if I'm feeling brave :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

No need to feel brave - what you have achieved to date is a credit to you and the type and goes to show what can be formed in ones garage / workshop.

Keep at it and will hopefully see you at Newark.

Kind regards,

Tim

Member for

16 years 5 months

Cheers Tim. You planning on going to Newark as a visitor this year, or are we going to see your Martinet project making its welcome debut?

Rob

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi Rob,

Visitor only this year as the Martinet is some way off. If she ever sees the light of day at Newark it will be a one off............hope to see you there.

Tim

Member for

16 years 5 months

Got around to picking up the laser cut set of ally instrument panels today for the Wyvern S.4. So now for a little fitting and fettling of the instruments when time permits!

Rob[ATTACH=CONFIG]235394[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very nice indeed Rob - where did you get them done?