Nimrod MRA4 Survivor (well sort of...)

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user GATEGUARD

Member for

18 years 8 months

You mean XV263 not XZ263

Member for

9 years 6 months

The skin thickness reading is close to 16SWG which was the size used in the Nimrod nose area and probably the same as the Comet 4.

The nose of the fuselage of Comet 4 water tank specimen 6402 was removed at Woodford after use as the Nimrod MR2 mockup with fate unknown. Maybe this went to Singer for use in the AEW3 Flight Simulator. The FDAR used this redundant simulator. An ex-BAe Warton employee told me it arrived with tons of machinery which had to be removed to build the FDAR.

(When the rest of 6402s fuselage eventually went to Warton for use in the MRA4 Iron Bird the nose of XV263 was attached)

Profile picture for user MDF

Member for

18 years 5 months

Just came across this thread and wondered where this simulator is and if it’s still in use?

Profile picture for user masmudge

Member for

8 years 1 month

Yes I believe so, and from what I have heard the plan is to turn it into a 737 simulator.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Could you tell me which university?? Be a shame as there are many 737 sims they could cheaply acquire.

Profile picture for user Anon

Member for

14 years 4 months

Forget it, MDF. I've been keeping an eye on this "sim" for a while now and its current re-purposing into a "737" is because they are unable to dispose of it due to contractual issues.

However, a certain person within the department is keeping the original equipment fit safe to one side should it ever be allowed to "escape" at any time in the future.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Mike/Anon,

Really have my hands and time full with Meteors at the moment!! Was really just interested in talking to them about how the cockpit was set up as an MRA4 and how it was powered software wise as it didn’t look to have original display screens.

Before I got swamped in meteors, I had a few MRA4 bits and just trying to find out about them and how the A340 EIS was adapted.

In an Ideal world it belongs at Avro Heritage Museum as an MRA4 sim but sounds like that’s not in its future!?