"A humbling experience" - my foot!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 8 months

Quote from yesterday's doc on Polish Pilots - words to the effect that "climbing into the P-47, after service on the Spitfire, was a humbling experience".

The only differences were Size, Refinement & an Ashtray. And the electrical canopy on later models - just touch the switch with the forefinger of the throttle hand as you opened up on take off. So cool!!

For me - just sheer delight. My favourite aeroplane.

= Tim

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

For me - just sheer delight. My favourite aeroplane.

An interesting comment Tim. Could you tell us more about what it was about the P-47 that you liked so much.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hold on Tim...I thought your favourite was the Tempest!

Member for

12 years 8 months

Actually, yeah, I agree - that comment stuck out like a sore thumb, mainly because it wasn't qualified or explained. Mind you, what do you expect from a documentary that describes history in the present tense?!

Were they implying that the P47 is less of a thoroughbred than the Spitfire and was therefore less of an aircraft to fly?

Member for

11 years 5 months

The whole series could have been so much better, and probably would have been in the hands of a professional, rather than an enthusiastic amateur.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh would that be the one with Lord Ashtray and his sleep inducing style of narration/presentation?

I had it on in the background but preferred to read the telephone directory....

Member for

15 years 8 months

A blanket reply, if I may be forgiven?

1. P-47 likes? (Not flown in combat)
a. Man sized - a challenge. Without compromise.
b. Robust radial.
c. Clean cockpit - with floor. (OK - the P-51 had that, & other qualities, too.)
d. (Ashtray!!)
e. Designer layout.
f. Range.
g. That Canopy!!
h. The Dive.
i. The Pee tube?
j. Space in which to strap a case of Beer to cool at height.
k.The track & brilliant toe brakes.
etc..........

2. Favourites? Oh, sharp!!

More that the Temp II (& Sea Fury) were the Best of British? (Neither flown on Ops)

= Tim

Member for

24 years 2 months

I really enjoyed the series personally. Yeah, there were some odd things said and some inaccuracies here and there (or downright bull**** to fit the stories) but overall I found it very good. I even thought the CGI was enjoyable. Not a bad bit of docudrama netertainment at all.

Tim, a question if you please regarding the ashtrays - what happened if you went inverted?

Member for

20 years

Surely you opened the canopy a crack and the ash disappeared?

Member for

15 years 8 months

Good thinking, but only ever used it on long, level flights, like Ranchi to China Bay.

= Tim

PS - quit smoking 35 years ago!

Member for

20 years 3 months

Stephen Grey was sitting next to me at an airshow once while his P47 was flying and the commentator was saying how the pilot was 'Hauling this massive brute of an aeroplane through the sky' and Stephen told me he hates that sort of description because firstly it makes it sound dangerous and secondly the P47 is such a pussycat. He told me that of all his fighters the P47 was the one that could most likely be flown by an average PPL with tailwheel experience. He said that you only have to get it near to the ground with the wheels down and it will land.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Did the commentator have ze French accent?.........>:o(

Member for

24 years 2 months

My friend Graham Skellam flew both Hurricanes and P-47s in Burma (113 Squadron) and he says that flying the Thunderbolt was a job, flying the Hurricane was a pleasure.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Built a few 1/48th examples, which made me appricate the shape & shear size of the P47 against other 1/48 fighters.

Tim gets to trump that of course with his 1:1 experience :D

Member for

11 years 5 months

Oh would that be the one with Lord Ashtray and his sleep inducing style of narration/presentation?

The very same!:rolleyes: And in response to another post I thought the CGI was dreadful. Wrong aircraft and endlessly repeated sequences form one programme to another.

Member for

16 years 2 months

A good friend of mine, who did fly the P47 and Spitfire in combat, liked the P47 for the diving ability and the large size of the cockpit.

Member for

15 years 8 months

West Sussex - Chidham?

Where my a/c finished up! ( A German recce photo)

= Tim

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

West Sussex - Chidham?

Yes Chidham; however I am near Petworth at Kirdford.

We had a German bomber come down in a nearby farm. Its wings were used for roofing an outbuilding!

Member for

20 years 3 months

Did the commentator have ze French accent?.........>:o(

No, very English.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Not Chidham; Kirdford near Petworth.

We had a German bomber come down in a nearby farm. Its wings were used for roofing an outbuilding!

The lower 2 'flags' on Tim's photo are close to chidham...you can see the Thorney Island Hangar group on the left of the photo.

rgds baz

Member for

18 years 6 months

Isn't it also the case that the P-47 was the first fighter to have air-conditioning?

Colin