Auster Autocrat G-AGTV

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Folks,

I've just started the restoration of Auster Autocrat EI-AMK formerly G-AGTV. I've a question that I'm hoping someone on the forum might be able to answer.

At the beginning of October 1959 a Marconi Loud Hailer System was fitted by Thurston Engineering at Stapleford Aerodrome and removed in October 1960. During this year the aircraft flew almost every day with a total of 670 hours flown during the year. It was registered to a Mr. Charles William Morley.

Does anybody know what it was used for?

Many thanks

Derek

Original post

Member for

20 years

I'm afraid I can't help you with your enquiry but G-AGTV was the very first aircraft I ever flew in. It was a 7/6d pleasure flight round the Tower at Blackpool in 1955 I think. It was owned by a chap called George Pine who amongst other things had a mink farm, back in the days when fur coats were PC. If I remember correctly 'TV was painted in a rather smart dark blue with silver wings and fuselage stripe. She had a "twin" in G-AHHO, another Autocrat. Happy days hanging over the fence at Squires Gate wondering what would turn up next.

Member for

13 years 8 months

Great project you have there!

Have you joined the Austerclub forum? Well worth signing up as there is a wealth of knowledge available there.

I have some spares I may be able to help you with , PM me if you are interested. Are you sure you want to put a Cirrus Minor back in her?? If you do then I have a nose bowl.

But I would seriously look at putting a Gipsy in her....just a thought.

Keep us posted on your work

Cheers
Anthony

Member for

19 years 7 months

Seems Mr Morley also owned another, namely Auster 5 G-APAH, between May '57 and Oct '70. Here is a link to a site which has a picture - reputedly of him and another standing in front of that Auster:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000373743.html

An advert appeared in Flight in Aug 59 from Morley Aviation Ltd (Herts & Essex Aero Club 1958) offering lessons in various aircraft types including Auster).

Tim

Member for

19 years

Derek

In case it is of interest here are some pictures of this Auster from my collection

As G-AGTV at Stapleford (probably late 50s/early 60s)

G-AGTV

Later on 23/7/67 when operated by the Irish Aero Club as EI-AMK.(photographer unknown)

EI-AMK

Good luck with her restoration.

Member for

11 years 8 months

As mentioned by Tim (Consul) in an earlier post, I found this advert...

MORLEY AVIATION LIMITED (Herts & Essex Aero Club 1958). Aerodrome — Stapleford.M.O.A. approved private pilots' course. Auster, Gemini and Tiger aircraft. Trial lesson 35/-. 15 miles centre of London. Central Line Underground to Theydon Bois, bus 250 to Club. Open every day.Tel : Stapleford 275.

Trial lessons would add a few extra flying hours. Not sure if this helps...

Member for

16 years 1 month

Loud Hailer Auster

Unfortunately I am unable to answer the original question about G-AGTV but I do know that J.1 G-AJIZ was used to demonstrate a loud hailer system by Auster Aircraft Aircraft at Rearsby in the late 1940s/early 1950s. The pilot I believe was Ranald Porteous. Following the demonstartion it was clear that the popular press was not enamoured with the system deeming it to be a potential public nuisance. There are photos of JIZ with underewing loudspeakers fitted.

The subject of "sky shouting" was raised in Parliament in 1954 and later in 1962. One particular vociferous opponent was Sir Alan (A.P.) Herbert. I am not sure if use of loud hailers on aircraft in the U.K. was actually banned by Act of Parliament.

"Sky Shouting" Austers were employed in both Malaya and Kenya but these of course were on "official business".

At least six Austers entered into the ownership of C.W. Morley/Morley Aviation in the late 1950s/early 1960s - GTV, HHN,JAB, JEI, JPU, PAH.
E.F. Thurston/Thurston Aviation/Thurston Engineering could claim five - FWO, HSJ, GTO, HHN, SLT.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Many thanks for the replies.

I presume the loud speakers were easily removable and therefore the aircraft would still be available for flight training. The extra drag caused by them must have had a serious effect on the aircrafts performance. Here is the system fitted to G-AJRH.

[ATTACH]210546[/ATTACH]

The logbook entry for the mod. notes that the aircraft was test flown and that climb figures and stall speeds were noted but unfortunately they were not entered in the logbook.

[ATTACH]210547[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

4 years 3 months

Hi My farther was Charles Morley he owned Stapleford Flying Club 1957 & owned this aircraft it was on the flying club.

Member for

4 years 3 months

How is the restoration going love to know more I'm a member of AFC Earls Colne Flying Club