Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Brightspark 180,

Yes, it is indeed a Hunter grip. It was the third in a line of at least 19 successive Dunlop handles to be fitted to the Hunter, replacing the AC12590. It too was then later replaced by the AC61044 in most applications.

The AC14728 handle was used on the F4, F5, F6, T7, T8, FGA9, FR10, F50, F51, T53, F56, F57, F58, F59, T62, T60, T66B, T66C, T67 & T69.

The important numbers on any Dunlop handle will be on the little data plate. Most Dunlop handles will be of a 'generic' cast body and each modification/upgrade indicated by this data plate rather than the casting number on the handle itself, hence the similarities between the handles.

There are however, a couple of Dunlop handles that were only fitted to one particular mark of Hunter. The AC14264, AC61316, AC61860 and the AC63308 were only used on the F58. The AC63494 & AC63682 were only ever used on the FGA9 although, other handles were also fitted across the fleet of the time, including the FGA9 and F58.

GYD

Member for

18 years

My recent purchase, Harvard/Texan spade grip. Unfortunately with a stuck firing button. I have managed to get the button to twist, but in still refuses to depress!! The 'Safe/Fire' twists OK. Is it possible to remove the entire firing button?

Think there are 2 small screws on the back either side of the button.

Member for

7 years 10 months

Hi Brightspark 180,

Yes, it is indeed a Hunter grip. It was the third in a line of at least 19 successive Dunlop handles to be fitted to the Hunter, replacing the AC12590. It too was then later replaced by the AC61044 in most applications.

The AC14728 handle was used on the F4, F5, F6, T7, T8, FGA9, FR10, F50, F51, T53, F56, F57, F58, F59, T62, T60, T66B, T66C, T67 & T69.

The important numbers on any Dunlop handle will be on the little data plate. Most Dunlop handles will be of a 'generic' cast body and each modification/upgrade indicated by this data plate rather than the casting number on the handle itself, hence the similarities between the handles.

There are however, a couple of Dunlop handles that were only fitted to one particular mark of Hunter. The AC14264, AC61316, AC61860 and the AC63308 were only used on the F58. The AC63494 & AC63682 were only ever used on the FGA9 although, other handles were also fitted across the fleet of the time, including the FGA9 and F58.

GYD

Thank you very much for the information, always appreciate your assistance.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hello gents:

Supposed Hurricane grip on US ebay. Appears to be correct for the mark. I don't know if other aircraft used essentially the same grip. With all the expertise on this site I suspect its origin can be identified. It has been restored. Unfortunately, if it has any engraved markings they cannot be seen under the grey paint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Hawker-Hurricane-Fighter-pilot-spade-grip-as-used-at-Battle-of-Britain-RARE/123757785890?hash=item1cd089f322:g:ff0AAOSw3Ulcz9Ww

m

Member for

8 years 11 months

Hello gents:

Supposed Hurricane grip on US ebay. Appears to be correct for the mark. I don't know if other aircraft used essentially the same grip. With all the expertise on this site I suspect its origin can be identified. It has been restored. Unfortunately, if it has any engraved markings they cannot be seen under the grey paint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Hawker-Hurricane-Fighter-pilot-spade-grip-as-used-at-Battle-of-Britain-RARE/123757785890?hash=item1cd089f322:g:ff0AAOSw3Ulcz9Ww

m

It's a shame - I'm sure it's the real thing, but all gooped up like that it could just as well be fake. Why do people find the need to 'restore' something when, in my mind, the value is in the patina / realism of an artifact preserved 'as found'.

Member for

19 years 3 months

That is a replica Hurricane grip. The casting is poor, even poorer than a Canadian built grip. The gun button machining marks are inconsistent with a period piece, the brake lever cable guide end piece is incorrect. The brake catch is a poor casting as opposed to an early stainless item or a bent and welded steel variety. The back of the button does not have the stamps I would expect. Missing at least 3 x official stampings from the main casting - should I go on?!

Member for

19 years 3 months

Should have also said P2884's grip would look absolutely nothing like that, even if it had been over-restored.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi all:
A question for you...especially to those of you knowledgeable of airliner control wheels. Regarding the control wheels used in DC-8s after the mid-1960s and in all iterations of the DC-9; were the castings used all the same? Or were there some nuances? Thank you for any help.

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hi all!
Here is a new exhibit in my small collection. Yak-38m

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_1239.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t1.04 MB ID:\t3863374","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3863374","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_1242.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t829.5 KB ID:\t3863375","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3863375","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3863373","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

A Forger! That is a rare one, Visotka. A very impressive number of buttons and switches. I recently bought what I thought was a uniquely shaped back seat F-4 Phantom control column. It turned out to be from a Fairchild T-46 Eaglet, a cancelled trainer from the 80s. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Here's the Eaglet stick. Looks quite F-4.

Attachments

Member for

11 years 1 month

Ian: That T-46 grip is certainly rarer than a F4 Wizzo's grip. Perhaps more of a conversation piece.

Member for

6 years 3 months

A Forger! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I do not understand! This is a joke???

Member for

19 years 10 months

NATO name for Yak-38 is ‘’FORGER’

Member for

16 years 11 months

Sorry Visotka, I did not translate well. Like Fly. Buy said, NATO name. Thanks Swifter, I was hoping to turn that stick into quick cash. Now I want to keep it. No idea on the DC yokes sorry, out of my military area.

Member for

6 years 3 months

Sorry Visotka, I did not translate well. Like Fly. Buy said, NATO name. Thanks Swifter, I was hoping to turn that stick into quick cash. Now I want to keep it. No idea on the DC yokes sorry, out of my military area.

Everything ОК))) difficult translation

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hello to all! New exhibit to the collection. IL-18. I start the restoration process

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3863959}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3863960}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

Nice control wheel, one of my favourite aircraft. Good luck with the restoration!