Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

Note: "SOLD" this yoke is no longer available:
FOR SALE my CONVAIR F-106 DELTA DART CONTROL YOKE $1,275.00 plus shipping. [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timage_261652.jpg Views:\t216 Size:\t117.7 KB ID:\t3867783","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3867783","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timage_261653.jpg Views:\t214 Size:\t54.7 KB ID:\t3867784","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3867784","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timage_261654.jpg Views:\t214 Size:\t74.4 KB ID:\t3867785","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3867785","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

11 years

Visotka1: Very nicely done with your IL-18 wheel ! I need to find one of those. If you come across another, please let me know.

Member for

6 years 2 months

Visotka1: Very nicely done with your IL-18 wheel ! I need to find one of those. If you come across another, please let me know.

Thanks!

Member for

6 years 2 months

I worked a little over the weekend))

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":3868898}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":3868899}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":3868900}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

6 years 2 months

Excuse me! But it seems to me that the topic is dead! No opinions, no wishes, no criticism !!!! It is sad! I work in vain))))
Need to close the topic !!! This is a joke

Member for

14 years 2 months

This thread has been running many years, not getting a response 23 hours after your last posting is not necessarily a reason to close a topic.
its the holiday season and I guess most people are away, anyhow nice control stick, well done!

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Visotka1,

I very much echo Runway06's response.

Your input to this thread has been well appreciated and I for one have welcomed the information that you have been able to give me on ex-Soviet control handles however, do have a little patience; for not everyone can respond to each post the moment it has been listed!

I am sure that everyone who has contributed to this thread has learnt a great deal from the knowledge of others, I know that I have and I look forward to more content in the future so, I do hope that you will continue to post your really impressive restorations!

However, if I was to offer any criticism and it is only my opinion, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Your last post showed a lovely 'used' as removed grip with no obvious signs of damage or need to repair. I personally, would have left it like that however, every collector has their own agenda and you are perfectly within your rights to do as you wish and, the finished product is to a very high standard so, congratulations, well done. How or where do you get your paint matches from?

This is a hobby with relatively few participants but, there seems to be a wider interested audience so, please keep the topic going and share the knowledge!

GYD

Member for

19 years 9 months

To ‘restore’ or ‘not to restore’ can lead to some great debates dependant on personal taste. Similar to GYD I prefer my items as original as possible, better described ‘in as flown condition’. Every knock, scrape or chip is part of the stick or yokes history. Obviously there are times when an item is so corroded or in such a state that one has no choice but to repair and restore. However my money is always on leaving something in as original condition as possible, the item having lived, travelled and ideally with a story to tell.
Personally I would post here more often but get hacked off not being able to upload photos. Anyone else have this problem with uploading photos?

Member for

7 years 9 months

Hi all,
I would be very upset if this thread was to end, I am a definite novice regarding stick/grip/yoke and control columns and have only been collecting them for a few years. The information regarding my purchases that I have obtained from very knowledgeable people on this site has been invaluable to me, it would be a great shame to loose such a resource of information. Although I personally only collect Dunlop grips, I love to see all the other types/manufacturers from aircraft the world over.
Visotka1, your post have always been enjoyed by myself, great to see such unusual Soviet grips, please keep contributing.
As has been previously mentioned, this 'hobby' doesn't have a huge following and for those that take great enjoyment from it this thread is important, if for no other reason that the sharing of knowledge, which has always been very generously given by numerous people within the thread. It would be a very sad world if knowledge wasn't shared and important facts could will be 'lost' forever.
I say keep on posting.
Fly.buy, I was having trouble posting photos some time ago, I found out the problem to be the size of the file, I had to reduce the size of them to enable them to b e uploaded.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Brightspark180,

Your latest acquisition is unfortunately not a Javelin handle, the AC12590 was modified by Dunlop (Mod No. Dunlop / 2214 dated 23/09/1954) from the AC10922 and fitted mainly to early Hunters, from the F1 to the T7 and many of the export equivalent variants but, it was also fitted to the Venom NF20 (the initial Sea Venom) - perhaps a few others too around that period. Subsequently, not many AC10922's now exist but, I am hoping to find one, eventually!!!

The early Javelins did indeed use a handle very similar in appearance but, the brake lever was not needed as the aircraft were fitted with toe operated brakes on the rudder pedals and the mechanism for the lever, ground off. Hopefully, I have attached a couple of pictures to demonstrate. Therefore, there are two distinct 'types' of control handles fitted to the Javelin and quantity eight variants in all.

This was due to the earlier handles only having switching facilities for a 'single' circuit elevator trim and many early aircraft were lost due to 'trim runaway' so aircraft were then fitted with a dual circuit, with two switches that could be independently tested during pre-flight checks, hence the reason for the twin circuit trim switches have a removable pin isolating each switch, to test each circuit.

However, regarding the levers, there are slight differences insomuch as some (eg Hunter), have a left sided parking brake locking lever and handles like the AC10300 Vampire T11, the AC12346 Venom NF3 and the AC11232 Seahawk, have the locking lever on the right hand side of the handle. As for finding 'spare' levers, it is a case of keeping an eye out at aero jumbles and good old honest e(vil)-bay!

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3869086}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3869087}[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps?

GYD

Attachments

Member for

7 years 9 months

Gin Ye Daur,

Once again thank you for the information, scrolling back to one of my previous posts (Pg. 106, AC 14728), you mentioned that AC 12590 was a hunter grip. I should of checked.
I have just got my AC 14728 grip out of a packing box (house move never happened) and have sat it alongside AC 12590 and I can't find any physical difference between the two grips!! The only difference I can see is on the casting of the grips AC14728 has 'C4032F/5' stamped into the casting and AC12590 has 'C4042A/5' stamped into the casting!!!
Any idea what the difference is between the two grips, I would be very interested to find out.

Thank again.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Brightspark180

The AC 14728 (27J / 461) was the next progressive Hunter handle from the AC 12590 (27J / 386). The corresponding modification was Dunlop 2961 14/02/1963 and it was issued because of:

'Wear and tear on the dural parking catch which has prevented the parking lever from being firmly manipulated from one extreme position to the other, thus allowing the lever to remain in an intermediate position, causing a residual pressure in the brakes. The modification prevents this by introducing an improved adjusting screw and a steel catch in place of the light alloy catch'

This modification was initially applicable to all Hunter aircraft from the F4, F5, F6, T7, T8, GA11 & GA12 however, subsequent export variants were also fitted with this handle until modification yet again, requiring handle number 4 - AC 61044. (There was one previous though, it was only ever fitted to the F58, AC 14264).

Glad to help,

GYD

Source: A.P. 4343X Vol 2 Leaflet No G-7, A.L. No. 96

Member for

19 years 2 months

As thread originator, this thread was intended to bring collectors together and also create a valuable resource to show what grips and yokes were fitted to what aircraft. It also allows people to show case their work, tips and techniques on their projects. Others have used this thread to id grips and modellers to detail cockpits. Often I post and get little to no response on this thread or others. Witness my B25 nose which had nil interest. But I do it to show others what is happening in this particular small part of the aviation heritage world. I do not post for a pat on the back or praise or criticism, sometimes for advice though, which is very welcome. Vistoka please keep posting, not everyone will reply, but many will like your work. I will be blooming miffed if someone closes my thread!

Member for

7 years 9 months

Hi Brightspark180

The AC 14728 (27J / 461) was the next progressive Hunter handle from the AC 12590 (27J / 386). The corresponding modification was Dunlop 2961 14/02/1963 and it was issued because of:

'W

ear and tear on the dural parking catch which has prevented the parking lever from being firmly manipulated from one extreme position to the other, thus allowing the lever to remain in an intermediate position, causing a residual pressure in the brakes. The modification prevents this by introducing an improved adjusting screw and a steel catch in place of the light alloy catch'

This modification was initially applicable to all Hunter aircraft from the F4, F5, F6, T7, T8, GA11 & GA12 however, subsequent export variants were also fitted with this handle until modification yet again, requiring handle number 4 - AC 61044. (There was one previous though, it was only ever fitted to the F58, AC 14264).

Glad to help,

GYD

Source: A.P. 4343X Vol 2 Leaflet No G-7, A.L. No. 96

My thanks once again, very interesting info.

Member for

11 years

Hello all:

I don't get here as often as I used to but I echo the sentiments expressed above. This thread has been an invaluable resource over the years. Visotka1, the feedback may not be immediate but most involved in this arcane corner of collecting very much appreciate what you have shared over the last couple of years, along with the quality and sheer breadth of your work. Keep it coming!

Nick (Swifter)

Member for

14 years 6 months

Well, I lost my original Halifax control wheel and column when the cockpit went to EK.
Cees

Member for

13 years 9 months

You haven’t lost it mate you have left it in the perfect environment. After following your cockpit build over the years I can honestly say the posts played down how good the section Actually is. After seeing it this weekend at East Kirkby all I can say is that it is a work of art and beautifully made.

Member for

7 years 9 months

A couple of wartime yokes currently on eBay

Heinkel HE111 yoke and column
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Steuerhorn-COMPLETE-CONTROL-YOKE-ASSEMBLY-He111-RARE/392364042383?hash=item5b5ab8288f:g:hogAAOSwlPZdQlU8

Junkers 52 yoke
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Steuerhorn-CONTROL-GRIP-YOKE-Junkers-Ju52-Tante-Ju/233306266818?hash=item3652231cc2:g:OOQAAOSw14RdSJlv

The Heinkel HE111 yoke is fantastic, unfortunately way out of my price league. Anybody have any photos of German WWII grips/yokes, don't very often get to see them.

Member for

17 years 7 months

I
recently acquired a spade grip p/n AH2040 as used on many British aircraft. Unfortunately it is missing s few pieces. Where can I get the following parts ?
Replica or original , it does not matter

Looking for :
break lever and associated mounting hardware
rear brass plate for the firing button
copper tubes that run down the assembly from the firing button

Thanks